Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Donate Travel Funds

GMayfield
Explorer C

I know that travel funds are not transferrable (I miss the good old days) but has SWA ever considered allowing donations for some of the charities they support? 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Donate Travel Funds

ILV2fly
Adventurer C

Hi @GMayfield,

Southwest absolutely accepts donations! I’m not sure if/how it works with travel funds as I’ve only ever heard references to number of points donated. @KelbyTansey can provide much more accurate information since she’s an actual Employee. (I’m curious for her answer, too.)

What a thoughtful idea!

ILV2fly

TiffanyV
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @GMayfield, our friend @ILV2fly, is correct! If you don't mind I'm going to jump in here. My name is Tiffany and I'm a moderator for the Community Outrach Team.

Southwest has always been a giving Company, and in 2015 we gave our Customers the ability to join in on the fun! Customers can donate their unused Rapid Rewards points to nine qualified charities, including All Hands Volunteers, American Red Cross, Dream Foundation, Honor Flight Network, Make-A-Wish®, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Student Conservation Association, Team Rubicon, and The Mission Continues. Charities were selected based on their ability to use points to fulfill their charitable mission, which range in focus, ensuring our Customers will find a cause they connect with.

With this ability, Customers can directly impact the lives of those in need. Rapid Rewards points will be used by the charities to help offset costs, enabling the organization to do more of what they do best—lend a helping hand.

For more information about Rapid Rewards Point Donation, please click here!

Tiffany
External Communications

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

Can one donate travel funds as well as Rapid Reward Points?  I have some small amounts that will potentially expire since I am limited as to how many can be used on one trip.

i realize that if they are about to expire, they might not benefit the charities.  So I am hoping that Southwest converts them to something usable for the charities (like cash) since it represents monies previously paid.

TiffanyV
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi, @CareforNOLA. thank you for the question. Unfortuneltly, Customers are not able to donate their travel funds to charaties. As you mentioned, Customers have the ability to donate their unused Rapid Reward Points to any of the nine qualified charities, including All Hands Volunteers, American Red Cross, Dream Foundation, Honor Flight Network, Make-A-Wish®, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Student Conservation Association, Team Rubicon, and The Mission Continues. 

For more information on Rapid Reward Point Donations, please click here

Tiffany
External Communications

sula86462
Explorer C

I see references to donate points but not funds. Can funds be donated?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@sula86462 wrote:

I see references to donate points but not funds. Can funds be donated?

Unfortunately, no. Unused travel funds are essentially profit for Southwest, so I suspect that the complexities of corporate accounting preclude individual customers from doing so. Southwest does make generous charitable donations as a company. And passengers may elect to donate their own Rapid Rewards points through the donation program referenced earlier in this discussion.

nwicha
Explorer C

Hi.

I have travel vouchers that will expire April 28th.  I cannot use them and they cannot be extended.  Can I donate them to an organization that can through Southwest?

Nicole

bec102896
Aviator A

@nwicha wrote:

Hi.

I have travel vouchers that will expire April 28th.  I cannot use them and they cannot be extended.  Can I donate them to an organization that can through Southwest?

Nicole

Your travel funds will be extended until September 7th 2022 check out this update: A Message to our Rapid Rewards Members 

-Blake

nwicha
Explorer C

thank you, but i called SWA and they told me that these vouchers cannot be extended because I extended them once already back in november... I was planning on using them in march...bad timing.  I hate to see them go to waste.