Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extra Baggage Fee

sirjeff
Explorer B

Hello Everyone!  I am planning some mission/relief work again in the Dominican Republic. The next trip i want to take some extra bags or boxes filled with some Roman Noodles for a special orhpanage children's meal. Does anyone know if SWA would reduce their $75 fee down any? Maybe to $25 per box would be manageable.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Extra Baggage Fee

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

There is a page on Southwest.com about non-profit donations (and a recent post on this community) if your group is a non-profit organization maybe something could be arranged for the baggage / cargo.

Otherwise I don't know how you will be able to transact this request other than through the charitable giving group at Southwest.

Maybe @TiffanyV can help you navigate.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TiffanyV
Employee
Employee

Hi @sirjeff, thank you for sharing information about your mission trip, and for letting us know about all the great things your organization is doing in the community. While we appreciate you thinking of Southwest, unfortunately due to limited cargo/bin space as well as weight and balance we are unable to waive your baggage fees.

We would like to take this time to remind you of our baggage policies. Per TSA regulations, all Customers are allowed two carryon items (one bag plus one small personal item) at no additional cost. For checked bags, each Customer is allowed two pieces baggage per ticketed Customer, size and weight limitations apply. Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs. Excess baggage, which is also overweight or oversized, will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge. For more information please visit www.southwest.com.

For information and guidelines on how to ship through Cargo, please click here

We know our decision will be disappointing for you, but we do hope you can understand our position. We wish you the very best of luck, and thank you for considering Southwest!

Tiffany
External Communications

sirjeff
Explorer B

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am not part of a non profit organization. Just myself. I did not ask for anything free, waived or donated. Just a simple reduction. I did not need to be reminded of your baggage policy. It most cases, i have found because i am not part of a great 501 C3 with great exposure in the media, I am overlooked. Maybe i should have asked for free tickets for a raffle or something. Southwest is and will remain my favorite airline. Thanks you for your understanding.

TiffanyV
Employee
Employee

@sirjeff, thanks for your intersest in Southwest and hope to see you in the air soon!

Tiffany
External Communications