Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Outreach

We put our Heart into everything we do.
Share your experience here and learn from others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Girl called Abcde 'mocked by Southwest Airlines staff

moon-buddy
New Arrival

This link: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/us/abcde-southwest-apologizes-scli-intl/index.html

This is very concerning.

Was the employee fired? If not, what is the big brag about the "Golden Rule"?

5 REPLIES

Re: Girl called Abcde 'mocked by Southwest Airlines staff

dfwskier
Rising Star

Regretably, individual employees at various companies do stupid things.

elijahbrantley

@dfwskier Agreed.  From my own experience, this behavior definitely does not reflect SW's culture.

With that said, @moon-buddy, we will likely never know the outcome of the situation with the employee because SW's statement, in addition to offering an apology and stating that they are taking action, indicated that they will not discuss personnell matters publicly.

Statement: "We extend our sincere apology to the family. We take great pride in extending our Southwest Hospitality to all of our Customers, which includes living by the Golden Rule and treating every individual with respect, in person or online. The post is not indicative of the care, respect, and civility we expect from all of our Employees. We have followed up with the Employee involved, and while we do not disclose personnel actions publicly, we are using this as an opportunity to reinforce our policies and emphasize our expectations for all Employees."

-A List Preferred, Companion Pass holder, Community Champion.

moon-buddy
New Arrival

@elijahbrantley: I hope they would reconsider going public in situations like this as by doing so enforces public trust for what they preach and do.

I do agree that it is not Southwest's fault or doing for what happened - it is simply poor judgement of an individual employee. Nonetheless, transparency from the airlines side will strengthen public trust and faith.

I do hope this never happens again. We are so tried of hearing people being mocked, made fun of, and labeled as liars in everyday news.

DancingDavidE
Rising Star

@moon-buddy wrote:

@elijahbrantley: I hope they would reconsider going public in situations like this as by doing so enforces public trust for what they preach and do.

I do agree that it is not Southwest's fault or doing for what happened - it is simply poor judgement of an individual employee. Nonetheless, transparency from the airlines side will strengthen public trust and faith.

I do hope this never happens again. We are so tried of hearing people being mocked, made fun of, and labeled as liars in everyday news.

That employee (or former employee?) has rights too, so I agree with Southwest that this doesn't have to be made public.

Besides the naming issue, no one from the company should be posting excerpts of anyone's boarding pass online for any reason.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse and LAS for work, A-list and CP.
Highlighted

dfwskier
Rising Star

@moon-buddy wrote:

As an retired HR manager with a fortune 100 company, I can tell you why that does not happen: lawsuits. Broadcast  to the world why you fire people and some will sue you. Yeah, you might win, but you get bad PR and you pay attorney's big bucks to defend the company in court. Companies don't need the aggravation or the expense.

Plus, as Elijh said, the emloyees have rights, too.

The companies just want the negative occurance and the employee to go away.