Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Help with pet fee for 501c rescue

Kmoore
Explorer C

I am a volunteer with 501c rescue in Phoenix, AZ. I frequently travel to BWI, and the rescue would like to transport some small cats and dogs from PHX to BWI for adoption. I am happy to transport the rescue animals with me, but wanted to know if Southwest offers any financial assistance or pet fee waiver for 501c's?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Help with pet fee for 501c rescue

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Kmoore wrote:

I am a volunteer with 501c rescue in Phoenix, AZ. I frequently travel to BWI, and the rescue would like to transport some small cats and dogs from PHX to BWI for adoption. I am happy to transport the rescue animals with me, but wanted to know if Southwest offers any financial assistance or pet fee waiver for 501c's?

Here is Southwest's page to request donations:

https://www.southwest.com/html/southwest-difference/southwest-citizenship/charitableGiving.html

This sounds like it has potential for a good story, but I'm not sure how you would take multiple pets with you unless there were other travelers making the same trip, or else you'd be taking one at a time with you each time you travel?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Help with pet fee for 501c rescue

TiffanyV
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @Kmoore, thanks for reaching out. It is so awesome to hear about what you are doing for the animals in your community. While we appreciate you thinking of Southwest, unfortunately, due to high volumes of request, we are unable to waive pet fees on travel. 

As @DancingDavidE mentioned, all qualified 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations are welcome to apply online at www.southwest.com/donations for ticket donations. Should your organization have a future event that is more than 60 days away, we encourage you to submit an application. The online format is for ticket donations only, usually in the 2-4 ticket range. Applying for tickets, even for organizations meeting the application criteria, does not guarantee that tickets will be granted, and we suggest that all organizations read through our guidelines prior to applying. Moreover, these tickets are not for pet travel. 

For more information on pet travel, click here!

We know our decision will be disappointing for you, but we do hope you can understand our position. We wish you the very best of luck, and thank you for considering Southwest!

Tiffany
External Communications
Southwest Airlines Community