Southwest buying another airline? Carrier downgraded on M&A speculation

dfwskier
Aviator A
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Southwest buying another airline? Carrier downgraded on M&A speculation

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Interesting times.

Boeing is taking a significant hit after Friday's news. They've been downgraded as well. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I just don't see it as something Southwest would be considering seriously at this point.  It could be a wild option included in the big bucket of ALL possible options IF the Max was permamently grounded, but I don't see an acquision as a move you make before final decisions are made about the Max.  You don't try to fix a headache with a much bigger headache.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

I just don't see it as something Southwest would be considering seriously at this point.  It could be a wild option included in the big bucket of ALL possible options IF the Max was permamently grounded, but I don't see an acquision as a move you make before final decisions are made about the Max.  You don't try to fix a headache with a much bigger headache.

--TheMiddleSeat

I'd tend to agree in principal. But these are unusual times.

You're aware of Friday's news involving Boeing and the pilot who's now at Southwest? (I'm not going to post a link here, but anyone interested can find the info.) I was a bit surprised that there seems to be real fallout from it, given how bulletproof Boeing appeared to be up to this point. I'm seeing a shift that has me reconsidering some assumptions I had regarding MAX and the future.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Interesting speculation about Alaska and JetBlue

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2019/10/21/southwest-airlines-acquisition.html?ana=yahoo&ypt...

Fascinating. It would be very interesting to see if Southwest aquires another airline ... and there'd probably be tears from the JetBlue faithful in particular if it were to happen lol (I have one friend who flies JetBlue exclusively and would probably die if she had to fly on Southwest planes with no first class and no assigned seating ... lol)

--Jessica

jksobonya
Aviator A