Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2 car seats - lap child & ticketed child

Mandy6373
Explorer C

I'll be traveling with one lap child under 2 and one 5 year old who will be ticketed.  Can I check BOTH of their car seats for free? Plus a stroller?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 2 car seats - lap child & ticketed child

Adrian_Otto
Explorer A

I don't see any text in your post. I can guess what you are thinking, but I'm not sure. If I had 2 car seats a lap child and a ticketed child, I would gate check one of my carseats (so I get it back again on the jet bridge upon arrival, or worst case get it at baggage claim), and bring the other carseat on the plane. Head toward the back of the plane. Latch the carseat in a window seat, and sit next to it in the middle seat. Hold the lap child on your lap. Unless the plane is full, nobody is going to sit next to you.

If you would rather not have the carseats in the terminal or on the plane with you, you can check them in addition to your free bags, and there is no charge. Checking the carseats as free baggage has been my preference once my (4) kids were about 4 years old.

If you had a different question, let me know. I travel with my kids on SWA regularly.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@Adrian_Otto,

Thanks for sharing your travel experience and tips! 

sergio7644
Explorer C

Airline seats are not very comfortable for children.  I would suggest that for your five year old that you actually install the car seat into their airline seat.  Your child will have a much more comfortable trip.

When my two boys were very young, we did travel by plane and I had their car seats strapped in to their two seats.  They were very comfortable and did not fuss at all.

In fact an elderly lady passed by at the end and commented on how "well behaved" they were.  The reason is that they were just comfortable.