Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2 year old that turns 3 on trip

rdtanner
Explorer C

Good morning! I have a unique circumstance that I was looking for an answer for. Our 2 year old will be 2 when we go on a trip in June but will turn 3 when we are there. Will his flight still be free? How do I plan accordingly for that? Or is it free because at time of purchase he is two? 

Thank you for your help! 

Rebecca

4 REPLIES 4

Re: 2 year old that turns 3 on trip

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Unless there is an exception of which I am not aware, your child can be a lap child (free) going, but you will need to purchase a ticket for him to return. Note that when you purchase the one way ticket for the minor, you will need to enter your confirmation number so that the reservations are linked; the reservation system will prompt you to do that.

Also, consider booking the minor’s return trip on points if you have any! It might save you some money.

More detail here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You'll need to purchase a one-way ticket for your (then) 3 year old's return flight. Also, be prepared to show proof of age when departing, to verify that they can fly as a lap child.

@elijahbrantley wrote:

Also, consider booking the minor’s return trip on points if you have any! It might save you some money.

More detail here.

@elijahbrantley

Just curious: Why would you think a points flight would be cheaper than a cash one?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@chgoflyer I guess I am referring to out of

pocket cost. I understand that the points value and cash value are related, but for me, it’s all about final cost out of pocket. I would rather pay the $5ish in taxes and use points than pay the whole amount in cash. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

JnMPoe2015
Explorer C

I just spoke with someone from Southwest. My son turned 2 in September. They said he would have to have his own seat already. The original question, doesn't really matter as the child is almost 3. They will need a round trip seat for the 2 almost 3 year old.