Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baby - Foreign Birth Certificate

Chindy85
Explorer C

My family are coming from Argentina to visit. My niece is a year and a half. I understand they will need to show her birth certificate. Will there be a problem if the document is not in English?

Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Baby - Foreign Birth Certificate

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you purchased an adult (Wanna Get Away) fare for the child you won't need any documentation.  If the child is going to be a lap child or you purchased a child fare ticket then you would need the documentation.  I'm guessing that as long as the certificate is in a language that someone can read the name and see the numbers for a birth date then you should be ok.  Languages such as chinese or arabic which are harder for english speakers to decipher might be a problem.

If, based on the fare info I provided above, you need to provide documentation, you'll need to call Southwest for an official answer 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Just to back up a little bit - coming from Argentina, then flying Southwest while travling inside the USA?

You'll need to verify requirements elsewhere for the trips back and forth between B.A. and the USA, or if you change airlines in Central America airports they may also have different requirements.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gastonl
Explorer C

Traveling from other countries requires a passport,  so the baby is going to have a passport under his name.

That is all he needs,  his passport

Have fun!