Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Breast pump

mayukhee
Explorer C

can I pump in a Southwest flight? are the policies same as breast feeding a child? a lot of people cannot breast feed and need to exclusively pump. what are the policies for that?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Breast pump

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest does specifically say breastfeeding is allowed, but I don't see anything about pumping. One would assume it's the same policy, but I suggest you ask the question via Twitter (@SouthwestAir), or give Southwest a call if Twitter ain't your thing.

From southwest.com:

"Southwest welcomes nursing mothers who wish to breastfeed on the aircraft and/or within our facilities."

--TheMiddleSeat

mayukhee
Explorer C

If I am traveling for work on a day trip and back, then I won't have my child with me. that is ahy I am trying to find an answer.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Great questions! Nursing moms are of course welcome to pump onboard. Just be aware that we don't have electrical outlets onboard, and applicable TSA battery restrictions apply. We look forward to seeing you onboard! 

Nicole
Community Manager

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mayukhee wrote:

can I pump in a Southwest flight? are the policies same as breast feeding a child? a lot of people cannot breast feed and need to exclusively pump. what are the policies for that?

An additional consideration may be if you can find the right time/space for it in the terminal, but after security, you'll have the least amount of complication and access to power for the pump.

You may take the milk through security allowing a little extra time for TSA to test your person if necessary though.

I've seen a few airports that have mother's kiosks as well, I think it was FLL that I last saw one. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A

One related note is that the following blog post from August 2018 is also available:

A Resource for Family Travel: Locating Mothers’ Rooms in Airports across the Southwest System

Customer | Home airport DCA