Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Car Seat Size

tinad66
Explorer C

I am going to be traveling with my 3 year old granddaughter and I will be using a car seat.  I am having trouble finding the maximum car seat size that will fit in the seat.  Any suggestions where I can find that information.

cmd

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Car Seat Size

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@tinad66,

There was a lot of discussion on this topic here.

More on SW's site here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

tinad66
Explorer C

Thank you!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello. Hope you enjoy your fl;ight with your grandaughter.

The answer to your question is more comp[licated than you would think as it depends on which type of aircraft you will be on (737-700 vs 737-800 vs 737Max8) AND where on the aircraft you will be sitting because not all seat on any of the planes are the same width.

The safe answer is if the seat is if the seat is no more than 15.5 inches wide it will fit anytwhere. It could be more, but since Southwest does not assign seats, it cannot guarantee that you'd be in one of the wider seats.

As i said width varies by plane type and location on the plane:

https://www.southwest.com/html/travel-experience/in-the-air.html#our_airplanes

More details here: 

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/family/baby-on-board-pol.html

"Aircraft Seat Dimensions

In order to determine whether a specific CRS will fit properly on the aircraft, the width of the narrowest and widest passenger seats (in inches) is available on our Flying Southwest page. When purchasing your flight, click on the hyperlinked flight number on the 'Select Flights' page to find the aircraft series size for a specific flight. You can also reach out to Customer Support and Services at (800) I-FLY-SWA (800-435-9792). While we will try our best to utilize the originally scheduled aircraft type for your journey, operational circumstances may result in an aircraft swap to an aircraft with different seat dimensions.

Please note the seat configuration on each aircraft varies, and accordingly, we are unable to provide any assurance that a Customer will be seated in a seat wider than the narrowest seat. Be sure to check the width of your CRS prior to traveling. If you have further questions, please contact Customer Support and Services at (800) I-FLY-SWA (800-435-9792)."

Have a good flight!