Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Changing last name on ticket

emore4
Explorer C

I ran into this issue and I wanted to add a qualifier to your response because I just got off the phone with SW moments ago:

1) You must CALL in within 24-hours of booking the flight.

2) It is against Southwest policy to change the name on a ticket.

I emailed customer service the moment I got my confirmation email and she said it is best to call.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@emore4wrote:

I ran into this issue and I wanted to add a qualifier to your response because I just got off the phone with SW moments ago:

1) You must CALL in within 24-hours of booking the flight.

2) It is against Southwest policy to change the name on a ticket.

I emailed customer service the moment I got my confirmation email and she said it is best to call.

I think you (or the phone rep) may be confused.

It is correct that Southwest doesn't change names on tickets, except in the case of marriage/last name change.

FYI: If you call within 24 hours of booking a flight you can cancel that flight for a full refund, then rebook using the "correct" name. This works if you've just entered the name wrong, or need to change the name of the passenger flying.

As I've mentioned, in the case of a marriage name change, contact Customer Relations at 1-855-234-4654 and they will, upon supplying proof of old name/new name (old ID, new ID and marriage license), update your Rapid Rewards account and change the name on an existing ticket.

If you're told otherwise, hang up and call back. And remember to contact Customer Relations at 1-855-234-4654, not the "regular" number.

disneylover57
Explorer C

Interesting that this agent says just call and name can be changed.  I just called to change the last name on a ticket I purchased for my son's girlfriend and was told by the agent I spoke to that I could not change the last name on the ticket by phone - that I had to change it at the airport on the day of travel.  I accidentally used the former married name of my son's girlfriend instead of her maiden name.  It makes me nervous waiting until the day of travel.  I don't understand why last name cannot be changed for me if I bought the ticket.  Very frustrating to say the least.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@disneylover57 wrote:

Interesting that this agent says just call and name can be changed.  I just called to change the last name on a ticket I purchased for my son's girlfriend and was told by the agent I spoke to that I could not change the last name on the ticket by phone - that I had to change it at the airport on the day of travel.  I accidentally used the former married name of my son's girlfriend instead of her maiden name.  It makes me nervous waiting until the day of travel.  I don't understand why last name cannot be changed for me if I bought the ticket.  Very frustrating to say the least.

To be clear: Tickets are non-transferrable, and names cannot be changed except in the case of legal name changes, for example by marriage.

In this case, the passenger will need to contact Customer Relations (not the reservation number) and provide her old and new ID. ( See the posts above for more details.) I'd recommend she not wait until the day of travel.

strandy542
Explorer C

Hello Southwest community! 

I made a pretty airheaded mistake back in January that I just realized this morning. I bought my plane ticket using my rapid rewards account information, which was sadly, was my maiden name and not my married name.  I'm wondering what I can do to fix this issue? I don't have a twitter account so I am not able to reach out via that network. I have my marriage certificate and also, obviously my drivers license.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @strandy542,

This happens pretty often - easy mistake to make! When it comes to changing the name on a reservation, our Customer Relations Department is the only place that has the right tools. You can contact a Representative there by calling 1-855-234-4654. If you need assistance in the future, you can find all our channels of Customer Service by visiting Southwest.com, scrolling down to the bottom of the page, and clicking on "Contact Us" in the bottom left corner.

tsully65
Explorer C

I booked a flight before I legally changed my last name to my married name. My RapidRewards account has been updated, but SWA customer service said they can't change my last name on a ticket that has already been booked. I was advised to bring my marriage license with me to verify the name change to the TSA agent at security. I was also advised to arrive early because this process may take a while.

KatieH33
Explorer C

How easy was it to board? I was told by someone to bring my old and new ID plus my marriage certificate and that would be fine. I'm scared they wont let me on my flight!

I know this post is old, but I'm hoping for a reply 🙂

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

As chgoflyer said in the post above yours, contact SW customer relations - and do not wait til the last minute to do so.

Reach out to SW's Customer Relations Department via Twitter (@Southwestair), or call 1-855-234-4654 (M-F normal business hours)