Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked Car Seat

MrsK
Explorer C

Can I check my car seat in it’s original box? The checked baggage policy says no boxes but I want my car seat to be protected.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Checked Car Seat

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I am not sure that it would not be allowed, but I am confident that you would pay oversized baggage fees for doing so. 

We have flown with with our kids countless times, checking the car seat for every trip. Multiple types of car seats for that matter. We place it in a sturdy bag that we found on Amazon, and we have never had any issues. I would be concerned that all the extra space in most car seat boxes would allow for lots of movement of the seat. 

Of course, things happen, but my personal recommendation would be to get a travel bag for it. 

If if you would like an answer directly from SW, you might use the contact us link below!

Good luck! Find out all about traveling with kids here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

James94525
Adventurer C

Interesting. I picked up a fare in Oakland who flew in from San Antonio with an oversized box. I assumed he was on Southwest (Over have the flights in Oakland are Southwest) but could be mistaken.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@MrsK wrote:

Can I check my car seat in it’s original box? The checked baggage policy says no boxes but I want my car seat to be protected.

Do you have the citation for that one? I thought boxes within the size allowance were okay.

We bought a second travel car seat for ~$60 and if it gets damaged, we aren't out as much as the super-duper model got crushed. (Having traveled with it 40+ times it has been well worth it.)

FWIW we also have traveled using the blue Southwest bags to avoid scuffing and while we've had to replace a couple of the bags, the seat has held up great.

As @chgoflyer has pointed out on several other posts - unfortunately the policy that you sign would reimburse you for loss, but not for damage - so showing up at baggage claim with a mashed bag of parts would be your loss, but if the seat somehow went missing they would reimburse, so maybe the risk is too high in your view for the damage.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.