Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked Car seats

JillHowlett
Explorer C

Do checked car seats count as one of your 2 checked bags? We are going on a family trip, but my husband is flying up a few days before the rest of us and I'd love him to be able to handle one of the heavy car seats and take 2 checked bags. Does anyone know?

thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Checked Car seats

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The following policy seems to indicate the child must be traveling, but I can't imagine Southwest questioning if the child is actually traveling and then refusing a car seat. They've always been pretty much "no questions asked."

Policy from https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/carryon-bags-pol.html

Customers traveling with children will be allowed to check one stroller and one Child Restraint System (CRS) or car seat per child without charge. This is in addition to the regular free baggage allowance.
The stroller and CRS or car seat allowance applies to any type of stroller (umbrella, full size, jogging stroller, etc.) and CRS or car seat.

The Customer may check the stroller and CRS or car seat at the curb, ticket counter, or gate.
Southwest Airlines will not assume liability for damage to strollers, CRSs or car seats. (An optional Southwest-branded reusable car seat/stroller bag is available for purchase at any Southwest Airlines ticket counter for a $15 one time fee.)

Re: Checked Car seats

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

I wouldn't expect a problem - the child is traveling correct, just not right at the moment?

As much as I don't expect a problem, I'd expect even less of a problem at curbside check-in.

The baby items don't count as your two free checked bags. I think it is two additional free baby items per child among stroller, car seat, pack and play.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.