Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking in with infant

PanhiaVwj
Explorer C

So next month will be my first time flying with my 5 month old baby and my husband. I've never been on a plane before so I have a few questions! 

1. Should I get early bird check in? Or should I just go to the counter to check in since I have an infant with me ? (In-lap infant)

2. Does the boarding pass show which group you're in? If so, do I get that at the counter since I want the Family boarding ?

3. What is the process? Like what do you do as soon as you get to the airport? 

I'm new to this flying thing so I have no clue at all 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Checking in with infant

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@PanhiaVwj wrote:

So next month will be my first time flying with my 5 month old baby and my husband. I've never been on a plane before so I have a few questions! 

1. Should I get early bird check in? Or should I just go to the counter to check in since I have an infant with me ? (In-lap infant)

2. Does the boarding pass show which group you're in? If so, do I get that at the counter since I want the Family boarding ?

3. What is the process? Like what do you do as soon as you get to the airport? 

I'm new to this flying thing so I have no clue at all 

You'll be in great shape, I think this forum will provide some great suggestions for you and if you can just allow a little extra time so that you aren't stressed about the process everything will be fine.

Specifically for your questions:

1. I say "no" - you can board at Family Boarding which is between the A and B groups, you should be able to find seats together at that time. Early Bird might improve your position slightly, but Family Boarding should be sufficient. You'll need to bring a birth certificate or other record to prove the age for your baby since they will be flying as a lap child. You can also call ahead to have the infant added to your reservation. 
  2. Boarding pass will have either an A, B, or C boarding position on it. You'll have this when you check in at T-24 hours - still do that - but when the time comes line up off to the side and when the A-group is finished boarding the ops agent will call for family boarding and you'll board then, regardless of your A, B, or C number, with your husband.
  3. At the airport the main things are: consider if you'll want to curbside check or counter check some of the baby gear. You may also want to keep a stroller through the airport which you can gate check - go to the counter before boarding starts and get a tag, you can then leave the stroller at the airplane door, it will be put in the hold, and then brought up to the same equivalent position when you land. Get the stroller right there by the airplane's door as you deplane. You can take milk or formula for the baby through security but allow extra time to have it tested if necessary. 

Additional advice:

• Ask the flight attendant if the changing table is in the front or back of the plane and choose seats accordingly. 
  • If baby makes a stinky one while in flight, let the FA know as you go to change them and they will give you a garbage bag so that the dirty diaper isn't left in the lavatory garbage.
  • Bottle or nursing is great at take-off and landing to equalize ear pressure! Try not to let the baby fill up before take-off so that they won't take some liquid during the ascent.
  • Make sure you get to the gate 40-45 minutes early so that you can gate check the stroller if desired - don't wait until 30 minutes in case boarding goes early and you don't want to be stuck in line waiting for a gate check tag.
Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.