Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Children flying

kimperk05
Explorer C

Traveling with our 3 grandchildren ages, 12, 9 and 6.........what, if anything will be needed in order for them to fly/order tickets? Mother will be going as well, however, we will be purchasing their tickets so we want to make sure we have what's needed.

Thank you!!!!! 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Children flying

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Hi!

Southwest's site has extensive info on this topic here.  I would review this as it will likely answer lots of your questions.  Note that due to their ages, these children will not have to show ID at security.  Also note that children agen 2 thru 11 qualify for child fares; you have to call SW to book (1-800-435-9792).

The main thing to plan for is boarding.  Note that the six year old qualifies for family boarding.  Per SW's site: "An adult traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding."  While you may find a gate agent who would all ow you all to board as a family, I would not count on it.  If everyone is book on the same reservation, then (generally), you will also be assigned consecutive boarding positions to you can board together.  I was unsure by your post if you will have all the tickets booked together, however.  If you all do not get boarding positions together, you will have to board with the person holding the "highest" (worst) boarding position.  With some planning, you can make this work very easily!

Let me know if that helps and if you would like additional detail!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Great advice @elijahbrantley!

Also sign the kids up for Rapid Rewards accounts if you'll need to access mobile boarding passes for them, and if they'll be flying once every few years they can keep earning those points!

Points expire if the account has no activity for two years.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

All great advice! 

And while you can get a child fare, it's just a discounted Anytime fare so unless you need the ticket to be fully refundable you'll be better off (cheaper) booking a standard adult Wanna Get Away fare. The same goes for senior fares. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Since we know my daughter would be coming  on several trips a year, I haven't hesitated to buy her WGA fares, since we know we'll be able to use travel funds if it became necessary to cancel a trip.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat This is news to me!  Thanks for the clarification.

We always book our kid's ticket on points, so I had never looked into child fares.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

AdamH
Retired Community Manager

@elijahbrantley, @TheMiddleSeat similar situation for Military fares. Essentially a discounted Anytime fare, but WGA is typically the cheapest option!