Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Damaged Stroller

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Cgbl00m wrote:

Is the waiver provided to passengers in accessible format?   For instance as a legally blind person, would I receive the waiver in a format I could access and know that when I arrived at my destination and SWA has totally destroyed my baby’s stroller, I have no way recourse.  And no way to carry my child and handle my guide Dog.   

I don't know how that works, the conventional waiver is part of the luggage tag and wouldn't meet your criteria. They do summarize the situation for you verbally.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

mrschmidt07
Explorer C

Really disappointed in southwest right now. Decided to fly with them for the first time in a long time because of their family friendly flying policies, but ultimately, its not worth it due to stroller damage. Our dual stroller is not usable after damage from a recent trip. The claim was denied. The stroller is over $1000. An airline can't be family friendly and at the same time treat strollers as if they're normal luggage. No fine print or waiver was ever presented. Is there any appeal process to the damage claim???

The whole flying experience with southwest was great, but this one thing overshaddows the whole trip. Won't be flying southest ever again unless southwest is able to admit mistakes or compromise on damage claim.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Did you check it at curbside or the kiosks?

I'm pretty sure the waiver is there somewhere, but when you gate check the waiver is on the gate check tags that they put on, and I've always been advised verbally of what it says. 

That's neither here nor there of course, what would you have done differently after hearing that - not take it with you?

We've always used our stroller in the airport so I'm mainly aware of gate-checking for that item. For car seats we did buy a cheap model to take with us for travel in case of any event on the part of the airline or other travel related damage or loss.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@mrschmidt07, double checking to see if you've been in touch with the "Customer Relations Department" they are available on Twitter and by phone, but my approach for something like your situation would be to get in touch in writing (either a letter or using the online email contact form, see the "Contact Us" page for those options.).

Customer | Home airport DCA

Lilksmom
Explorer C

I’ve flown SW for nearly 4 years with a car seat & stroller and have always used their blue bag. Never had an issue until last night; I have never verbally been told about the liability policy. Both the car seat & stroller have been damaged—the stroller is unusable and not replaceable—the metal frame is actually sheared apart at the base. From the response at baggage claim, I am not anticipating any cooperation from SW. It’s very disappointing considering how I have always professed my satisfaction with SW to others and was just about to upgrade to the Premier card. Very disheartening. 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Lilksmom wrote:

I’ve flown SW for nearly 4 years with a car seat & stroller and have always used their blue bag. Never had an issue until last night; I have never verbally been told about the liability policy. Both the car seat & stroller have been damaged—the stroller is unusable and not replaceable—the metal frame is actually sheared apart at the base. From the response at baggage claim, I am not anticipating any cooperation from SW. It’s very disappointing considering how I have always professed my satisfaction with SW to others and was just about to upgrade to the Premier card. Very disheartening. 

as was stated in the post above yours, perhaps you should take up the matter with customer relations. Perhaps a travel voucher good for future travel might be a way t compensate you.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

Lilksmom
Explorer C

I’m definitely not going to let it go without contacting anyone further. I’ll first give them an opportunity to respond to the incident report that was filed last night. If I don’t hear anything, I plan to call and/or write to customer relations. Thank you for the link. 

Dlashinsky
Explorer C

Have you had any resolution to your problem. Today southwest lost part of our stroller they call it “damage” but it isn’t damage the pieces come apart and they lost it ?!!!

Mollyannhw
Explorer C

In 2016 SW also DESTROYED my $370 stroller to no repair. The frame was bent in the opposite folding direction, as well as horizontally bent.

The child’s tray was broken in half, and the parents tray was gone. Like it was just gone. Missing. Poof. I dont understand that part. It was broken off somehow.

The front left wheel was bent so it was flat on the ground. I witnessed the stroller being thrown by one employee, but I don’t think thats where all the damage came from. So they must have taken a hammer to it.

The manager at the gate VERY rudely told me that it is my own personal problem (yes seriously she said that) and that southwest is not responsible for broken baby items.

my family used to fly southwest ALL the time, and my father is a bigwig for a mining in mineral company; who travels ALOT and also schedules flights for his employees.

Needless to say, none of us fly southwest anymore.  They lost some business there.

It was a thick metal frame, too. I have NO idea how they pulled that off!!!

These airlines need to make a designated safe area for baby items. People need those things. Our car seat was broken too on the carry handle, but I was still able to install it and get us to a baby store and replace everything.

Lesson learned: when booking with (especially) southwest airlines, don’t forget to incorportate buying an entirely new travel system into your budget. Either plan on needing to do so after they break it or don’t bother bringing it with you. Just buy a new set at your destination.

Hopefully someone contacted you and your claim back. They never even acknowledged my claim. 

benjambb
Explorer C

The Federal Government says that airlines are responsible for damaged luggage up to $3500 per flight.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/baggage

Southwest is not adhering to federal law by denying customers damage reports to their strollers.

I will be contacting the DOT here:

Contact Us

Office of Aviation Consumer Protection

1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
Washington, DC 20590
United States

Phone: (202) 366-2220
Business Hours:
8:30am-5:00pm ET, M-F