Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Check In and Children

KatieB
Explorer C

I am traveling with my three kids, ages 8, 8, and 12. Do we all need to buy Early Bird, or can I purchase Early Bird for me and then just have the kids board with me?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Early Bird Check In and Children

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, Southwest won't allow your kids to board with you if you have an EBCI position and they have higher ones. The official policy is for groups/families wishing to board together to board at the highest number position. They would like you to purchase EBCI for everyone, but that's very expensive. They do offer Family Boarding, but the cutoff age is 6, so that won't help you. Your best bet is to save the money and check everyone in at 24 hours prior to departure, and hope for the best. (Another possible option would be for you buy EBCI for just yourself, board by yourself at thye better position, save 3 seats, and have the kids board at their later positions -- assuming you trust your 12 year old to get the three of them all on the plane together by themselves.) Hope this helps!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If you don't fly often and this is a nervous process for you then maybe the early bird for everyone is the least amount of stress for a moderate upcharge (remember all that money you saved on free checked bags compared to the competition!). Also if you might have trouble checking in exactly 24-hours prior then this might be a good safety net.

A slight modification of the poster above - most people on the plane are not going to begrudge you saving a seat or two for your kids. Maybe have one of younger kids also do early bird so that two people get on in A-group or early B-group and each of you can hold a spot pretty easy. The middles don't go that quickly so really you just need two or three earlier boarding spots, but not for the 12-yo as you won't have any trouble saving that middle seat.

As the person mentioned above, it would probably work to just check-in at the 24-hour mark exactly and see how it goes, people on-board are usually accomodating for children to sit by parents, or at least by their sibling. Just ask nicely and let the flight attendant help if you are really stuck. Not sure if you are looking at 2x2 (need two aisle/windows) or 3+1 (need three aisle/windows). Maybe the local airport has a generous interpretation of "six year old" family boarding but you'd want to have a backup plan in place in case they are firm on it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tbate2426
Explorer C

Keep in mind Southwest doesn't refund or credit the Early Bird purchase in case you cancel the flight. They credit the ticket but not the EB. So, only buy it at the last minute when you are sure about your trip.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@tbate2426 wrote:

Keep in mind Southwest doesn't refund or credit the Early Bird purchase in case you cancel the flight. They credit the ticket but not the EB. So, only buy it at the last minute when you are sure about your trip.

Be aware that EBCI positions are allocated based on date of purchase. Meaning that buying it "last minute" is a Very Bad Idea, since you'll be given a position not much better than those checking at t-24.

Yes, EBCI is not refundable if you cancel. A work-around is to not cancel, but instead "change" to any other flight that's the same or lower cost at some distant point in the future. Then, when you're ready to book the flight you'll actually take, change the "dummy" booking to the real one. Your EBCI position will be based on the date that you've changed to / booked the new flight.