Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Check In

sarahcworden
Explorer C

Bear with me if this has already been addressed.

I am flying for the first time with my kids (5 and 4) and I am having some trouble figuring out our best course of action. When we originally booked our flights, we booked all 4 of us at the same time. So our entire family is listed on our confirmation.

To insure that we all sit together, do I need to purchase Early Bird for all 4 of us, do Family Boarding, or only 1 of us because we booked our tickets togehter?

I'm willing to pay extra for peace of mind, but I don't want to spend extra if its not necessary. Any advice I can get from you experts, would be so greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Early Bird Check In

Mstevens0716
Explorer A

Hello @sarahcworden!

Don't fret about asking more questions! We welcome them. You are actually elgible for family boarding! BUT: If you and your family already have an "A" boarding group, STAY in that que as you will be getting on before our family boarding!

IF you do not have an "A" boarding group:

You may board with your family after the "A" group and before the "B" group as your children are 6 and younger.

"An adult traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position."  -Boarding Page Here

As for the early bird special, it must be purchased 36 hours PRIOR to your flight, as this is where most passengers get confused as they check in and the early bird status gets implemented on your return flight.

Stationed @ The DAL-LUV Airport!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@Mstevens0716

Thank you for the great answer about Early Bird! @sarahcworden, if you found this answer helpful, please click the "Accept as Solution" so others can easily find this info in the future!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@LindseyD wrote:

@Mstevens0716

Thank you for the great answer about Early Bird! @sarahcworden, if you found this answer helpful, please click the "Accept as Solution" so others can easily find this info in the future!

I'll add that if you are all on one confirmation number I don't believe you will be able to buy just one Early Bird.

Family boarding is great, I'd just go with that and save the $60. (or $120 for RT.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@LindseyD wrote:

@Mstevens0716

I'll add that if you are all on one confirmation number I don't believe you will be able to buy just one Early Bird.

Family boarding is great, I'd just go with that and save the $60. (or $120 for RT.)

EBCI must be purchased for every passenger's ticket when making the intiial flight purchase, but when adding it later you can select individual passenger(s).

From the FAQ:

If a Customer is booked in the same reservation with other Passengers, can he/she purchase EarlyBird Check-In even if the others do not choose to do so?

Yes, if EarlyBird Check-In is purchased and added to an existing itinerary. If EarlyBird Check-In is purchased within the same transaction as the air purchase, then all eligible Customers must purchase EarlyBird Check-In as well.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

EBCI must be purchased for every passenger's ticket when making the intiial flight purchase, but when adding it later you can select individual passenger(s).

From the FAQ:

If a Customer is booked in the same reservation with other Passengers, can he/she purchase EarlyBird Check-In even if the others do not choose to do so?

Yes, if EarlyBird Check-In is purchased and added to an existing itinerary. If EarlyBird Check-In is purchased within the same transaction as the air purchase, then all eligible Customers must purchase EarlyBird Check-In as well.

That's interesting, thanks for clarifying that EBCI can be added after the fact for individuals.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.