Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

End of March trip to Hawaii

jcoyle00
Explorer C

Please let me know if it is unrealistic to expect Hawaii fares for travel from 23-30 March 2019. We have been saving vouchers and points for this trip since the announcement in early 2018.  Now, we are getting nervous that we wont be able to use our earned points and vouchers for this trip.  

Thanks, 
Jodi

2 REPLIES 2

Re: End of March trip to Hawaii

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hi Jodi.

It's looking pretty doubtful. The airline has not yet received government authorization for long flights over water and the entire process has ground to a halt due to the government shutdown. 

Once the shutdown ends, Southwest has to wait for the authorization, then do proving / training flights, then announce a future schedule, then sell tickets, and then start flying.

That's a lot to do in the next 10 weeks. If there is any service it will probably be VERY limited. That was the initial plan - to start service to maybe one city in HI from one city in CA.

Nobody can guarantee anything, and the longer the shutdown lasts, the longer the delay in flights to Hawaii. I wish I could be more encouraging, but that's my view.

I could be wrong, but it's not likely.  Sorry.

Re: End of March trip to Hawaii

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Yes, it's possible but pretty unlikely. 😞

FYI: Your Rapid Rewards points won't expire as long as you have point earning activity once every 24 months. But you should double check the expiration dates on your vouchers -- if you've been saving them that long they're likely approaching expiration (which I expect may be the reason you're anxious).