Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family Boarding w/Layovers

cactuscoyote
Explorer C

I am looking to fly my family of 5 (husband, myself, 3 year old, 5 year old and 9 year old) to Michigan from Seattle.  Which means that I have to do connections both ways.   So I have a few questions.  As we can  board in Family Boarding (I realize that technically my 9 year old would have to stay behind, but I am hoping she can board with us), I am thinking that I don't need to purchase the $15.00 early check in fee for each of us as that really adds up.  I am wondering how open is the plane in between A & B boarding? Should we be able to find a row of 3 and row of 2 - both my 3 and 5 year olds will want to sit next to me.  

And secondly, how have you all dealt with layovers with a family? One layover will be in Denver and the other is in Midway, so I am hoping those are originating not continuing flights. I called SW, but they can't tell me yet as it's not until the end of July & August.  And each layover is at least 2 hours which I feel is enough time for us to get off the plane and make our connecting flight.

Thanks!

Melody

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Family Boarding w/Layovers

averykrouse
Explorer C

Generally speaking, the A group and those that get on before Family Boarding will constitute maybe less than 75 people per flight. With most plans, you're looking at 140-170 seats, so the plane should be less than half full by the time you get on. You should have no problem seating your family - especially if you just head straight to the back.

For the layovers, 2 hours is plenty of time assuming no delays. If it is a continuing flight, you will potentially be entering a plane that already has a bunch of people on it, but the same rules apply - it will likely be maybe only half full and you can usually find plenty of open seats at the back.

Worst case scenario, you can ask an attendant for assistance getting your family together. They'll do the uncomfortable work of asking folks to make room.

cactuscoyote
Explorer C

Ok, thanks.  It helps to know that I could ask them for help if need be :).

duchess0511
Explorer C

Unfortunately they will not always help make sure you are seated with your kids.   My youngest had to use the bathroom just before boarding so we ended up missing the Family Boarding and had to wait to board.  By the time they let us on the plan, there were no two seats together and no one would move seats so that I could at the very least sit with my then 3 year old child (who also suffers from PTSD, ADHD and a couple other disorders), I wasn't as worried about my 7 year old but it still would have been nice for the 3 of us to sit together.  In the end my 7 year old ended up about 7 rows in front of me and my 3 year old 5 rows in front of me.  In the end I say karma is a b$$$h because the people my 3 year sat with didn't get a moments peace, nor did anyone around her.  I personally was floored that not a single person would allow us to sit together and that the flight attendants did nothing to ensure that a 3 year old wouldn't be separated from a parent. 

cactuscoyote
Explorer C

I can't even wrap my head around them not moving - my 5 and 3 year olds would be miserable I'm going to be they'd move for us. Have you ever had a problem if you've boarded during family boarding?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Next time board at Family boarding and use the airplane bathroom if you can. I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't even get two seats together though, I have seen that work before, the flight must have been full of some weary people.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.