Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family boarding concerns

dbesears
Explorer C

I have some hesitation to book out flight with Southwest - flying with a family of 5 (Mom, Dad and 3 kids ages 6, 10, and 12). I see that bc we have a 6 yr old we can board during family boarding after group A and before group B. What I am worried about is getting separate seating from our 10 and 12 yr olds as the 12 yr old is diabetic and also has to carry an epi pen due to severe allergies. Is there any way to guarantee that at least one parent can be with the 10 and 12 yr old (so that the 10 yr old isn't alone either) and not get separated? One Southwest phone operator told me there's no way to tell until we get to the gate attendant - they ultimately decide. I have a hard time thinking that anyone would separate a family especially when one has potential medical needs but I would like to get clarification on this before booking the tickets. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Family boarding concerns

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @dbesears,

Those are all great questions. Thank you for posting them here in the Community. 

I think you'll find that Southwest Airlines is a very family-friendly airline. We know how important it is for families to sit together, so we do have a few different ways of approaching the situation. One is Family Boarding, as you mentioned. This comes early enough in the boarding process that there is still a very good chance you will all be able to find seats near each other. 

Another way we help families with seating is by soliciting volunteers to give up a seat so that parents and young children can sit together. All you have to do is let our Ops Agent and Flight Attendants know what you need, and they'll make an announcement. 

We are especially attentive to the needs of our youngest Customers, and we take great pride in making sure everyone has a Safe and enjoyable travel experience. I hope you'll give us a chance, and please feel free to let us know if there's any other information we can provide to make your trip more pleasant!