Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family of 4 with a 6 and 7 year old

RachaelNovak
Explorer C

My husband, 6 and 7 year old and myself are flying.  Can we use Family Boarding together?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Family of 4 with a 6 and 7 year old

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Sort of!

Technically the 7 year old wouldn't be included for family boarding, you get two adults per child six years and younger, but you likely wouldn't be challenged on that if you all walked up. I've seen more than two people go with a child before, so it may or may not be enforced.

You could also ask the gate agent ahead of time if everyone can go through, although they may say no in which case you need a backup strategy.

If bounced, have yourself or your husband go through with both kids and save a seat for the remaining family member either you or your husband when you board in your position as stated on the boarding pass. Unless either of you had A-1 to A-60 then have that person board as ticketed and the remaining three family members at family boarding.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gototravelgal
Explorer A

Hi Rachel-

Southwest requires that kids be six or younger to take advantage of Family Boarding. So one parent and the 6-year-old could board during Family Boarding, but the 7-year-old and other parent would need to board in their assigned order.

I have a 10 and 13-year-old and we have never had a problem sitting at least one parent and one child together, even with a C boarding order (though we did end up in the back of the plane :)).

Here is more info:

Boarding FAQs

Good luck!

Go to Travel Gal

Shopaddict88
Explorer A
Solution

Yes

we have always been allowed to use family boarding if one child was under 7, then all of us could go together after group A boards.  They let us every time.  

Solved?

RachaelNovak
Explorer C

Shopaddict88, you have just brought my anxiety level down notches.  Thank you, thank you thank you.