Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Gate Check Car Seats/Strollers

TLWork42
Explorer C

Can I gate check two car seats and a double stroller if I’m traveling with a toddler and an infant? Or do I have to check one item at the ticket counter? My toddlers car seat is 19” wide and is approved for aircrafts. Will it fit in the aircraft seat?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Gate Check Car Seats/Strollers

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@TLWork42 wrote:

Can I gate check two car seats and a double stroller if I’m traveling with a toddler and an infant? Or do I have to check one item at the ticket counter? My toddlers car seat is 19” wide and is approved for aircrafts. Will it fit in the aircraft seat?

If the car seat was approved by the FAA then that's usually the biggest hurdle, but I see that Southwest advertises 17.8" widest width and yours is a little over that, so there could be a chance that it won't fit, or won't fit with an adult sitting next to the seat.

https://www.southwest.com/html/travel-experience/in-the-air.html#our_airplanes

Each child can have a stroller and a car seat. Method of checking the items at gate, counter, or curbside doesn't matter.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/carryon-bags-pol.html

Customers traveling with children will be allowed to check one stroller and one Child Restraint System (CRS) or car seat per child without charge. This is in addition to the regular free baggage allowance.

The stroller and CRS or car seat allowance applies to any type of stroller (umbrella, full size, jogging stroller, etc.) and CRS or car seat.

The Customer may check the stroller and CRS or car seat at the curb, ticket counter, or gate. Southwest Airlines will not assume liability for damage to strollers, CRS’s or car seats.

An optional Southwest-branded reusable car seat/stroller bag is available for purchase at any Southwest Airlines ticket counter for a $17 onetime fee. Bag dimensions are 42”X20.5X12.5”.

You could also combine two items into one travel bag - either BYO or purchase a blue bag from Southwest ($17) - which would help both in bringing everything down the jetway as well as reduce total number of checked items.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.