Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Gate checking booster seat with connecting flight

ldkronos
Explorer C

I've been told I should have my childs booster seat checked at the gate rather than the counter. We have a connection flight (1 hour in MDW) in which we switch planes. What should I expect? Will my gate checked booster seat be transferred to the other plane automatically? Will I pick it up when I exit the first plane and re-check it at the 2nd plane? Or do I get to choose which way I want it done?

Assuming it's not transferred to the other flight automatically, will it be waiting for me right as soon as I exit the first flight, or do I have to wait around for it to be unloaded and how long does that typicallly take?

Any other tips to avoid surpises?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Gate checking booster seat with connecting flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm curious why you would have been told to gate check instead of checking at the baggage counter as there's no difference in how it's handled after checking. It will automatically be transferred to the connecting flight and you'll pick it up at baggage claim. Save yourself the hassle of carrying it through security to the gate and just check it at the baggage counter. 

ldkronos
Explorer C

Search around. You should see plenty of advice recommending that car seats, booster seats, and strollers be gate checked rather than counter checked. I'm no expert in flying, but I can't see how you can say there's no difference. Clearly you skip all the conveyor belts and loading onto the carts. You do all the handling except for the very last step. It seems like a LOT less opportunity for damage, especiall on an item that is so irregularly shaped.

Thats how it was explained to me, and it seems to make a lot of sense. Its just that the connecting flight issue was never explained to me very well.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Regarding the gate check, it can be done either way to have the item for use at the layover, or retrieve it in the jetbridge at the destination airport, just let them know and they may ask your preference.

Assuming that you don't need the booster seat in the airport, obviously you'd opt to pick it up at the destination and not the layover.

Regarding curbside or at the counter, we have been happy checking our pack and play at curbside, but we do use the blue Southwest bags avilable for purchase to protect the items from scuffing.

The exception is the stroller which we use in the airport. It can be gate checked either to the connecting airport or to the final airport, your choice. For the stroller we're usually wanting to have it on the layover, so we retrieve it and re-check it at the new gate.

I'm not sure about the booster seat. If it is precious, then I'd say gate check over curbside or ticket counter. If it is a pain to carry through the airport, then check it regularly and retrieve at baggage claim.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.