Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Travel

Everything from checking bags to boarding
the plane is a little different when you’re doing
it as a family, and Southwest is here to help.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add a minor child to an existing international itinerary?

CooperA
New Arrival

My husband and I are traveling with three teens to Mexico in July. We booked all but one ticket because there were only 4 available for the lowest price and I figured I'd go back online and buy the last one afterwards. However, because the passenger is a teen, I can't apparently just buy him a ticket (cause he's seen as an independent flyer by the SW system.) How can I buy and add his ticket to my existing one-way itinerary?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: How do I add a minor child to an existing international itinerary?

elijahbrantley
Solution

As you purchase the ticket, part of the process at the end right before you pay will be a pop up asking if the minor is traveling with an adult.  If you say that they are, you will be required to put in the adult's name and confirmation #.  This will tie the reservations together.

Note that upon check-in, it is likely that the minor may end up with a different boarding position from everyone else in your party.  Depending on the age of your child, you might consider family boarding.

-A List Preferred, Companion Pass holder, Community Champion.

Re: How do I add a minor child to an existing international itinerary?

DancingDavidE
Rising Star
Solution

@CooperA wrote:

My husband and I are traveling with three teens to Mexico in July. We booked all but one ticket because there were only 4 available for the lowest price and I figured I'd go back online and buy the last one afterwards. However, because the passenger is a teen, I can't apparently just buy him a ticket (cause he's seen as an independent flyer by the SW system.) How can I buy and add his ticket to my existing one-way itinerary?

At least for domestic flights there should be an option that comes up to refer to the confirmation number of the already-booked adults.

There could be a limitation in the international software that's blocking you from adding them to an already existing reservation - the logic in the website might not allow this pathway for a minor passenger.

If this isn't possible online you'll need to call customer service and they should be able to take care of it over the phone. See if you have a "live chat" button on the app which may also work.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.