Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How do I add a minor child to an existing international itinerary?

CooperA
Explorer C

My husband and I are traveling with three teens to Mexico in July. We booked all but one ticket because there were only 4 available for the lowest price and I figured I'd go back online and buy the last one afterwards. However, because the passenger is a teen, I can't apparently just buy him a ticket (cause he's seen as an independent flyer by the SW system.) How can I buy and add his ticket to my existing one-way itinerary?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do I add a minor child to an existing international itinerary?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

As you purchase the ticket, part of the process at the end right before you pay will be a pop up asking if the minor is traveling with an adult.  If you say that they are, you will be required to put in the adult's name and confirmation #.  This will tie the reservations together.

Note that upon check-in, it is likely that the minor may end up with a different boarding position from everyone else in your party.  Depending on the age of your child, you might consider family boarding.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@CooperA wrote:

My husband and I are traveling with three teens to Mexico in July. We booked all but one ticket because there were only 4 available for the lowest price and I figured I'd go back online and buy the last one afterwards. However, because the passenger is a teen, I can't apparently just buy him a ticket (cause he's seen as an independent flyer by the SW system.) How can I buy and add his ticket to my existing one-way itinerary?

At least for domestic flights there should be an option that comes up to refer to the confirmation number of the already-booked adults.

There could be a limitation in the international software that's blocking you from adding them to an already existing reservation - the logic in the website might not allow this pathway for a minor passenger.

If this isn't possible online you'll need to call customer service and they should be able to take care of it over the phone. See if you have a "live chat" button on the app which may also work.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

RafaV
Explorer C

It doesn't seem to prompt anything to me to add a minor into my itinerary.  Can yo please be a bit more specific? thank you, Rafael

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@RafaV wrote:

It doesn't seem to prompt anything to me to add a minor into my itinerary.  Can yo please be a bit more specific? thank you, Rafael

Can you clarify if you are adding a lap child, or are you buying a new ticket for a minor child?

When you start the process to buy the ticket for the minor, it should eventually ask you who the adult traveling with the child is and enter your confirmation number.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.