Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How do you get family boarding?

sgobert
Explorer C

How do you get family boarding?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: If I have a small child but I have a C boarding spot, am I able to board the plane early?

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Hi @sgobert

As long as your child is 6 and under, you are allowed to board after the A Group. (If you have an A Group boarding pass, you're welcome to board then.)

To use this option, just stand near where the Ops Agent (ticket taker) is calling people to line up and board. Stand away from the line and out of the way. The Ops Agent will call for families with kids 6 and under to board after all the A Group folks have gone in. Then you just go on up and hand in your boarding pass. 

Best of luck!

Re: If I have a small child but I have a C boarding spot, am I able to board the plane early?

sgobert
Explorer C

Thanks! I am travelling with my mother, husband, and 2 kids ages 1 and 5. First time to fly with kids! 🙂

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C

@sgobert Awesome! You guys will have a great time! I suggest bringing stuff to keep your kids occupied. (A good trick is to pick up a few things from the dollar store that will be new to play with on the plane. Maybe a new coloring book too.) There is free TV (Disney Channel included) you can connect to with your own device, always a favorite with my 4 year old. 

We bring some snacks along, especially for longer flights. I pack a little backpack for my 4 year old ( and soon for my 1 year old as well) that he is in charge of. Has his snacks, coloring items and a few little toys. 

Kids also love to see all the different things there are to see (loading bags, other planes, lots of people, etc.) at the airport. 

If you have other questions, let us know! We're all happy to help!

sgobert
Explorer C

Great suggestions! Thanks again so much!

Ferrell
Explorer C

@sarahsmithwrote:

Hi @sgobert

As long as your child is 6 and under, you are allowed to board after the A Group. (If you have an A Group boarding pass, you're welcome to board then.)

To use this option, just stand near where the Ops Agent (ticket taker) is calling people to line up and board. Stand away from the line and out of the way. The Ops Agent will call for families with kids 6 and under to board after all the A Group folks have gone in. Then you just go on up and hand in your boarding pass. 

Best of luck!

If I have my mother my 8 yo, 3 yo and my wife can we all board during family boarding? 

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C

Hey there, 

i believe it differs by station, unfortunately. However, I think most Ops agents will allow you. If they don’t, you can definitely board with the younger child and save seats for the other two. 

Best of luck to you!

Reaughstar
Explorer C

Please don’t encourage people to save seats. Pay for upgraded boarding if you want front seats together. People saving seats is the scourge of SWA. 

Travisfireman
Explorer C

Unfortunately we booked our flight 6 months in advance and southwest cancelled it 2 hours before our flight. We then had to travel 3 hours to another airport we booked at last minute. Since it was last minute my family of six, with 2 kids 12 and 8 who had never flown, had to sit alone because of no assigned seats and the first groups split up to get window seats. My wife sat between 2 people, flying together, and passed food back and forth over my wife. Not sure why they wouldn't sit together but could share food and drinks. Just because my kids are older doesn't mean they don't need family supervision or help. Guesss it's because people don't care or airline just about money. Since the airline cancelled and cost me an additional $3000 in new flight, hotel and resort tickets you would think they would at least help me sit next to my kids. Guess if I gave southwest $3000 maybe 3 could sit together.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Travisfireman Cancellations happen.  If Southwest cancelled your flight you were eligible for a refund back to your original form of payment OR be placed on an alternate flight at no additional cost.

--TheMiddleSeat