Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: How do you get family boarding?

Ft12
Explorer C

I look at the ticket and see what the seat number and see if there room on the over head to put bags up and under the seat in front of me and make sure they know how to used the call bottom and seatbelt right

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

HI @Ft12,

Southwest has open seating so the number on your boarding pass is your position in line to board, not your seat number.  Once aboard, choose any available seat you like.  Southwest is unique about this open style boarding.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CareforNOLAwrote:

HI @Ft12,

Southwest has open seating so the number on your boarding pass is your position in line to board, not your seat number.  Once aboard, choose any available seat you like.  Southwest is unique about this open style boarding.

I think she/he meant as an in-flight game to read the numbers, etc. - but true, it won't be on your boarding pass, you'll have to look overhead at the aisle and see the row number and seat letters.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

It is not really "family boarding".  The process is like this:

When an individual under the age of seven (six and under) is on the flight, you can have UP TO TWO ADULTS board with that individual.

So, for family boarding to activate, you must have an individual under the age of seven.

Since you have two under the age of seven, up to two adults can board per individual under the age of seven.