Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Identification for children

Jenniepie85
Explorer C

I'm really struggling finding the information I need for this trip. Do children need any form of identification if they are flying on a normal fare? I recognize they don't need age verification, but do they need anything to get through security?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Identification for children

franktravel
Aviator B

Acceptable ID for children

For domestic flights within the US, the TSA does not require children (anyone aged 17 or younger) to have any kind of identification to get past security, even for children traveling alone. If a child is traveling alone it may be a good idea to have the child carry some kind of ID, even if it is not a passport or state issued photo ID.

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Hey there!

No need for identification for TSA. Here's a link with the pertinent information from TSA: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification.

Best of luck!

BullsFan
Adventurer A

I'm pretty sure- 99%- that neither TSA nor ANY airline requires ID on minors- it may be a law?- all any kid needs, with parents or alone, is to STATE their name and age- TSA is not allowed to challenge the "word" of an obviously 21 year old with a mustache if he(or she!!!) CLAIMS to be 15!  Seems crazy to me, but I think that's the rule.

Any Lawyers on here who can verify or correct me?