Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mom of triplets

Amtworks4me
Explorer C

We will be making our first flight in a month. My husband and I with 3 infants. 1 has a purchased seat other 2 will be lap. My question is will we be able to sit I  same row? I have heard conflicting info on whether or not there are enough oxygen masks for all 3 babies and 2 adults in 1 row. Thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Mom of triplets

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Good catch, that's a small, but very important detail. There are only 4 oxygen masks on each side of the aisle for each row so no, you would not be able to have two lap children in the same three seat section. You'll need to spread out a little, either going across the aisle or behind. The side benefit of this is that if the flight isn't full it's doubtful all the seats in your row are occupied and your lap children can have a seat.

Also remember that you'll need to present proof of age at the baggage check-in counter for lap children. 

Re: Mom of triplets

franktravel
Aviator B

I would say you are going to have to sit in the same row but accross the isle from each other. 

"Why do airlines prohibit two infants from sitting in the same row (for example Seat A,B and C) at one side of the aisle? Why is it that one of the parent has to move to another row or to the other side of the row?"

"This is prohibited for safety reasons. Each row has one extra oxygen mask (there are exceptions, some rows have no extra masks and they will be marked somehow). If more than one infant is seated in a parent's lap and the oxygen masks were to be used one of the row occupants will have no oxygen mask to use."

"Usually the reservation system/agents will avoid such a situation but it could happen that a family with two infants will be given boarding passes in one row, the cabin crew then will move one of the parents along with one of the infants to the other side of the row or to another row."