Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refunds/Credits

luv5ks
Explorer C

I purchased a ticket for my daughter's boyfriend for them to visit at Christmas this year.  They have now broken up and I wanted to see if I can cancel the ticket and receive a credit for a future ticket purchase.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Refunds/Credits

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

When you cancel a Wana Get Away ticket the credit can only be used by the person who's name is on the ticket. 

tktp909465
Explorer C

Yes You Can Transfer It Into Another Name But It Cost $ 100. I Had One For My Son For 168.99, I Transfered It Into My Name But The Credit Is Now For  68.99

chgoflyer
Aviator A

wrote:

Yes You Can Transfer It Into Another Name But It Cost $ 100. I Had One For My Son For 168.99, I Transfered It Into My Name But The Credit Is Now For  68.99

To clarify: Southwest does not transfer tickets. All tickets, including fully-refundable ones, are non-transferrable.

However: Once the travel funds associated with the ticket expire (one year from the original date of purchase), you can call Customer Relations and request reissue as a voucher, for a fee of $100 (deducted from the balance). Vouchers are usable by anyone, but only for the base air travel portion -- not any taxes or fees. You have six months after expiration in which to make the request, and the voucher will be valid for six months from the date of issue. Requests are granted on a case-by-case basis. Be aware that everything about this unpublished policy is subject to change at any time, including the fee amount (which has been raised from $50, then $75, over the past few years).

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The only way to get full value would be if the boyfriend gave you the money and kept the credit for use on another flight of his own. (Or some mutually agreed amount that comes out ahead of re-issuing for the fee.)

Technically the credit is in his name and he could use it anytime in the interim if he has the confirmation number according to Southwest's rules. Maybe you could call and see if there is an option available to you that isn't detailed on the website.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.