Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling a baby with pedialyte

jastonko
Explorer C

I am traveling for the first time with my 9 month old. I purchased pedialyte for her to drink on the flight being that she doesn't drink water yet. It is in the 34 oz bottle unopened. I am wondering if it is better for me to bring the unopened bottle or pour some into one of her bottles. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Traveling a baby with pedialyte

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Take a look at TSA's guidelines, particularly the section "Formula, Breast Milk, and Juice"

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures/traveling-children

jastonko
Explorer C

I did see that. I just don't know what they consider an "acceptable" amount. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

My interpretation of that was some amount far more than one would need for a day or two of traveling, think multiple large bottles, perhaps a case. You showing up with one bottle shouldn't be a problem. TSA and I don't always see things the same way though so no guarantees. 

jastonko
Explorer C

We will be traveling for the weekend. I will explain to TSA if they question. 

Thank you for the assistance! 🙂 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

We've had mixed reviews on the packaged milk containers also, some airports let these through with a testing, and others passed them right through.

Otherwise an open container they will test the milk itself. An unopened container they will need to test your person for traces of any problematic materials. The trick is that for milk the open container may go bad while the shelf-stable milk is good until it is opened.

However, if we had these poured into 3 oz containers then it also sails right through. (But not ten of them in your case, that would probably be too many...plus the spoilage.)

The most likely scenario will be that it is allowed, but with some extra time for testing of your person so allow fifteen extra minutes arrival time at the depature airport.

I'm not familiar with the pedialyte specifically, but good luck!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.