Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling alone with 11m twins and 8yr

Htrcase
Explorer C

Can I travel with 11m old twins and 8yr old alone? How many tickets will I need to get? Can we all sit in the same row?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Traveling alone with 11m twins and 8yr

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@Htrcase wrote:

Can I travel with 11m old twins and 8yr old alone? How many tickets will I need to get?

You will need to buy three tickets (one of the 11 month twins can travel as a lap infant with the other in their own seat with a Child Restraint System) but you can buy four if you want both of the 11 month twins to have their own seats with their Child Restraint Systems.

The Southwest wording: "One child over 14 days old and under two (2) years of age, not occupying a seat, may be carried free of charge when traveling with an adult (12 years of age or older)." (here is the source with much more detail)

@Htrcase wrote:

Can we all sit in the same row?

You will be able to board as part of family boarding which *should* give you the opportunity to get everyone lined up together.  You may also want to ask at the gate about preboarding given that you are traveling with the three children alone and it may help for you to have a few extra minutes to get everyone on the plane, especially if you have two Child Restraint Systems.

Customer | Home airport DCA

Re: Traveling alone with 11m twins and 8yr

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:

@Htrcase wrote:

Can I travel with 11m old twins and 8yr old alone? How many tickets will I need to get?

You will need to buy three tickets (one of the 11 month twins can travel as a lap infant with the other in their own seat with a Child Restraint System) but you can buy four if you want both of the 11 month twins to have their own seats with their Child Restraint Systems.

One caveat to this approach would be that with four tickets, the 8 year old would be sitting across the aisle from you since the rows are three seats wide, and the two CRS would have to be installed in the window and center seats as they aren't allowed to block your own egress to the aisle. 

If the plan is to put all four bodies into one three-seat row, then you should purchase three tickets for yourself, the 8 year old, and one of the twins.

For mature 8-year olds they should be fine sitting across the aisle from you, I just wanted to make sure you knew the layout.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737-700_new.php

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.