Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with daughter that has special medical conditions and 10 month old

SDUONG15
Explorer C

I am going to be traveling to Miami with my family soon and I do not know how to travel with my daughter's medications. She has epilepsy so she has a emergency diastat syringe to administer if she seizes and she also has very severe allergies so she has an EPIPEN as well. I am also unaware of how to board/ get through security with my 10 month old's breast milke bottles and formula. Should I premake formula bottles for the flight or leave them in the powder form in his diaper bag?  Should I place his milk in a certain size bottle for carry on? Also, if we are leaving the country what form of documentation will I need for my 10 month old and my five year old? Sorry so many questions, this is my first time traveling with the kids by airplane.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Traveling with daughter that has special medical conditions and 10 month old

franktravel
Aviator B

Medication

"We strongly suggest that all medication be packed in carryon luggage. Assistive devices (including medications) needed for a disability do not count toward bag limits (carryon or checked), provided the assistive devices are packed separately from other personal items. If a Customer opts to check assistive devices in his/her luggage, the Customer should inform the Customer Service Agent or Skycap upon checking in that such items are contained inside the checked bag. If a Customer's carryon must be checked because of space constraints, we suggest that the Customer remove the medication from the bag and keep it with him/her.

Southwest Airlines' aircraft are equipped with a first-aid kit, which contains common over-the-counter medications. Our Flight Attendants will offer the medication to a Customer if the need arises and will provide the medication once the Customer determines acceptability. The Flight Attendants will not physically administer the medication themselves. Flight Attendants also will not administer a Customer's personal supply of medication. If this type of care is needed during the flight, the Customer may want to consider traveling with a ticketed attendant.
Needles/syringes used to inject medications are permitted past the security checkpoint as long as the Customer has in his/her possession the medication that requires the use of a needle/syringe.
Concerns about transporting medication or medical supplies through a security checkpoint can be verified using the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) standardized security screening procedures on the TSA website.

Please Note:  The aircraft are not equipped with refrigerators.

Re: Traveling with daughter that has special medical conditions and 10 month old

franktravel
Aviator B

Please read. TSA 

http://tinyurl.com/yavpzap8

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Breast milk will be allowed through after testing, allow extra time for the testing. I don't believe that size of the container is important although I've never seen anyone go through with gallon-sized jars. Bottle-sized are definitely okay, after testing.

Conventional milk or formula isn't allowed through, that formula should be left in powder form and hydrated after you are through security.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SDUONG15
Explorer C

Okay my son drinks out of 9oz bottles. What exactly is done when testing the breast milk? Will they open and tamper with the milk some how? Doesn't seem too sanitary if they do.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The link @franktravel provided above describes how TSA screens breast milk. In my past experience the screening has been quick and non-invasive. We all cringe when talking about TSA, but they do try to be sensitive to situations like this. Just calmly and politely explain your situation. Also, as mentioned before, give yourself plenty of extra time to get through security.