Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unused travel funds expires 6 months from booking?

jayebird
Explorer C

I booked a flight on 7/10 and changed the reservation on 9/10, which resulted in a $145 credit. I have always had one-year to use those credits. However, this credit expires 1/10 (six months from booking). Has SW changed their travel funds policy??

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unused travel funds expires 6 months from booking?

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

I haven't seen a change -- any chance you had any other travel funds used to book the flight on 7/10?  If not then I'd ask Southwest, you may want to use the chat function within the app.

Would you be able to come back to let the forum know the resolution?  Thanks!

Customer | Home airport DCA

jayebird
Explorer C

Yes, you are correct! I didn't even think about that since the timing is exactly 6 months from my previous book (and it's been a couple months). Thanks for pointing that out. It's a little frustrating because I applied a $200 travel credit and paid $300 (total flight ~ $500), but I guess they refund the travel credit portion before the amount paid in cash.

SWDigits
Aviator A

Thank you for circling back!

SWDigits
Aviator A

A follow up post thanks to an assist from @chgoflyer and @TheMiddleSeat the only specific time period reference I'm able to find is on the flight booking page.  When you click on the "View fare type benefits" drop down link and then click on the information "i" next to the "Reusable funds" row, I currently see the following wording, "If you cancel your flight, 100% of your ticket can be applied to future travel for up to 12 months."  A screen shot of what I see right now is attached.

Hope this helps.

Fare Type Benefits.jpg