Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Will my car seat fit

Sillyluna
Explorer C

We will be traveling from Chicago to LA at Christmas time with a 2 and 4 year old. Both roughly 30-35lb, and just over 36 inches tall. We want to bring our car seats on the plane as we will need them at our destination and absolutely do not want to check our seats and risk them being damaged. We have the graco mysize/size4me/fit4me/headwise 65 (goes by those names depending on where you buy it) it is FAA approved but I'm concerned about size. Dimensions: 23.400 inches H x 18.500 inches W x 22.000 inches D. I've read on some blogs that others have travled and they fit but I don't know which airline they used. I haven't measured the base of the seat but I believe it might be a tad smaller as this might be at the widest point which is where the armrests are on the actual car seat. The evenflo maestro harness booster was also recommended to us as its FAA approved when the harness is used, which we would use anyway with younger kids. It was recommended by a car seat technician that said that it would fit on a southwest plane but the  dimensions for that show it's 1.2" wider than our current car seats. Do you know if either of these would be a good fit? We would really like to just bring the ones we have and are already familiar with but I don't want to risk untrained staff trying to force us to check it because they don't think it will fit or don't agree that we can use it despite it being FAA approved. Hoping someone has travled with this seat and can give us some insight on if it will fit or not, and what seat would fit in that space.