Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

family boarding

dms
Explorer C

I just read that Rewards ticket do not qualify for family boarding - is this true? I will be traveling in August with my husband and three grandchildren ages 3 and 1 1/2.  Since we are outnumbered by the babies we will need to board as early as possible. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: family boarding

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Not true, you can utilize family boarding. Just listen for the gate agent to announce it after the A group boards. 

Where did you see that you wouldn't qualify? 

dms
Explorer C

Thank you for putting my mind at ease - I'm looking forward to the trip but very worried about the babies on the plane.  Still trying to figure out how to manage carry-ons while carrying the two babies and a toddler, but I'm sure we will manage.

I saw the statement in the discussion forum - when someone complained about boarding with a companion ticket - when the companion was a child and they denied family boarding because it was a companion ticket.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I definitely recommend checking as much baggage as possible and you can use a stroller until you get to the plane door, you can gate check it there. Hopefully using the family boarding will reduce some of the stress and you won't feel rushed. Have a good trip! 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I think it might be a mixup in the lingo, I've never heard of family boarding to be affected by ticket type.

It is affected by age of the child, and potentially number of adults traveling with the children.

Companion boarding along with the primary ticket holder likely to be A-list does cause friction when the companion has a later boarding position, particularly if the child companion was old enough not to qualify for family boarding as an altnerative. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.