Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

rolling ice chest as gate check

pjrecord
Explorer C

We need to travel with a rolling ice chest that is just a few inches too large for the overhead bins.  Can this item be gate checked?  And, if so, will we be reunited w/ it in the same place where travellers are reunited w/ their strollers, etc?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: rolling ice chest as gate check

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

A rolling ice chest would need to be checked at the check-in counter, not gate checked. It would also need to be well sealed. I've seen them come out with normal suitcases and with the oversized items such as car seats and strollers so you might need to look in both places. 

Any special reason you need it to be gate checked? Anything inside that might be a security or safety concern? 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I'm curious to hear the rest of the story on this one.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

pjrecord
Explorer C

Am going out west and will need/want ice cooler for day trips.  Don't want to buy a 'disposable' styrofoam one at destination only to discard it when done.  So this is my way of 'recycling'.  I figured it would be treated too roughly if checked at the beginning as 'regular' baggage.  LOL!

pjrecord
Explorer C

Nothing would be in it.  I just don't want to buy one of those styrofoam ones when I get to my destination only to have to discard it at end of my trip.  This is my way of 'recycling'.  I just figured it would be handled too roughly if checked as a 'regular bag'.. Thanks for your response.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@DancingDavidE,

Admittedly, my curiosity was piqued as well.

@pjrecord, you've already received great advice, but yes, you'll have to check your cooler at the ticket counter. Enjoy your travels + day trips! 

pjrecord
Explorer C

Did you see my reason in the other posts?  I don't mean to "beat a dead horse" as they say (I can be a bit **bleep** about some things--o.k., a lot of things--lol) but this is not a big cooler--when laying on its side, it's only 3" deeper;  2" wider & is actually 5" shorter in length than the allowed SWA dementions for carryons as per the SWA website which is why I thought gate checking would be an option.  Am I persuading anybody to my side--LOL?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@pjrecord,

It's not so much a matter of opinion, but of policy. The checking of baggage takes place at the ticket counter or the skycap, per our Contract of Carriage. Child items are an exception. Here is an excerpt from page 24 of the CoC:  

"Baggage must be checked at Carrier’s airport ticket counter or curbside check-in locations (where available) at least 45 minutes prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time, See Section 8 for additional requirements for international travel."

pjrecord
Explorer C

Well, then, this appears to settle it.  Thank you so much Lindsey for specifics.  I appreciate your taking the time to get back to me.  We will check it with our luggage.