Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

1 stop, no plane change

halt7136
Explorer C

I received an email today that a flight of mine for later this year changed.  I originally had a non-stop flight from Orlando to Midway, but now it has changed to a flight that says 1 stop, no plane change.  It's a 50 minute layover in Louiseville.  What exactly does this mean?  Are we able to leave the plane at all for snacks/restroom, do our seats stay the same, what happens to our luggage?  Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: 1 stop, no plane change

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest uses the term Direct for these types of flights. You'll land, local passengers will deplane, new passengers will board and then you'll depart again.

After the local passengers deplane, you can definitely get up and use the restroom on the plane and/or move to another seat if desired. Your bags will remain on the plane and be available for pickup at your final destination.

It's possible that you may be allowed to deplane and then reboard before the local customers (for example if there's a delay in taking back off), but it's not likely. I'd be prepared with food, and anything else you need for the entire length of the flight as scheduled.

Related to the schedule change -- you are allowed to now rebook to another flight that better suits your needs. I'd double-check online (as if booking a flight from scratch) to see if there are still any non-stops available that might work. Changes include up to 14 days in either direction as well. If so, you can make that change online using the link in the notice you received.

Hope this helps!

Re: 1 stop, no plane change

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

It's possible that you may be allowed to deplane and then reboard before the local customers (for example if there's a delay in taking back off), but it's not likely. I'd be prepared with food, and anything else you need for the entire length of the flight as scheduled.

Louisville is a great place to visit! But I don't remember a ton of notable food and beverage that you'd be bringing back to the aircraft anyway - I say arrive at MCO a little early and load up with supplies there, if you don't find an alternate non-stop flight to swap out.

It is at least a short hop from LOU to MDW about 45 minutes or less. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.