Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

6 hour layover in Oakland

susanmanner
Explorer B

We are traveling from MSP to HNL in December.  I had to book as 2 different segments and we ended up with a 6 hr layover in Oakland.   I understand SW will only take luggage 4 hours before a flight so I’m wondering if they will check our luggage through or will we need to go to baggage claim and recheck it?  My best guess is that we will need to go get it but I’m hoping for a different answer.  

7 REPLIES 7

Re: 6 hour layover in Oakland

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I would bet they will check it through, doubtful the check-in agent notices the timing of the flights. 6 hours in Oakland sounds miserable, I'd strongly suggest grabbing a Lyft and leaving the airport. 

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Checking bags through on two itineraries it's a bit of a crap shoot. It can usually be done, but it requires a certain skill level and willingness of the agent, since it involves manipulating the system somewhat. I haven't seen any previous cases like this, so I'm unable to reference any data points. I'm not sure if the over 4 hour layover will create a problem, but my advice would be to be prepared for the worst, and be happy should it work out otherwise. Good luck! And please do come back and let us know how it worked out for you. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Be sure to mention the HNL destination since it is a known issue that there aren't bookings straight through from non west coast locations - that should help prompt the agent at MSP that they should try to help you out.

The four hour thing also can be flexible, so even if you do have to recheck at OAK they may take them earlier but the 30 minutes messing around that way will eat into your long layover.

Assuming all goes well and the luggage is checked through (verify the tags at MSP!) ) you can take the BART to an interesting part of Oakland or Berkeley to walk around. Getting back and forth to SF will use up more time but not impossible if you just have one or two things to see or eat. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

susanmanner
Explorer B

Some of our group definitely have mobility issues so leaving feels overwhelming.  Worst case scenario 2 of us can retrieve bags and go back through security.   I did find decent priced passes to the Escape Lounge on Groupon so at least 3 of those hours might be a little more comfy.   I believe we need to sign in and may be asked to leave after 3 hours.  

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@susanmanner Just remember that you generally have to show ID to check bags. So plan carefully...each flyer can check two bags for free, so be sure that enough of you go to check bags so that you can get all the bags for the whole party checked without paying extra. 

Good luck with checking them through!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

susanmanner
Explorer B
Solution

I want to thank everyone for your input.   I wanted to report that we had an AMAZING agent in MSP who took care of us.   He did put HNL as the final destination and our bags arrived as expected.   We purchased entry to the OAK Escape Lounge off Groupon.  The purchase was for a 3 hr stay but it wasn’t busy and we were not asked to leave. It was well worth the purchase price. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@susanmanner wrote:

I want to thank everyone for your input.   I wanted to report that we had an AMAZING agent in MSP who took care of us.   He did put HNL as the final destination and our bags arrived as expected.   We purchased entry to the OAK Escape Lounge off Groupon.  The purchase was for a 3 hr stay but it wasn’t busy and we were not asked to leave. It was well worth the purchase price. 

Glad to hear it worked out!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.