Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

737-800 and 900 what is the status on grounding these planes?

BobCarlsen
Explorer C

Given the recent grounding of these planes by a number of countries , what is the updated Southwest plan ? Is a fix in the works?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: 737-800 and 900 what is the status on grounding these planes?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@BobCarlsen wrote:

Given the recent grounding of these planes by a number of countries , what is the updated Southwest plan ? Is a fix in the works?

Assuming you mean 737 MAX (the 737-800 is a different aircraft, and Southwest doesn't fly 737-900s), Southwest has announced they have no plans to ground the 34 in their fleet. 

If you are scheduled to fly soon on a Southwest 737 MAX aircraft and have concerns, you can reach out to Customer Relations (via Twitter for the quickest response). They are currently accommodating customers who wish to change their flight. 

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

Why ground a plane that is safe to fly?

mariond
Explorer C

There are no assurances that the Max8 is safe. Two horrendous tragedies in the span of a few months, both similar, plus a number of complaints of serious malfunction from pilots, documented in a federal database, should be more than enough evidence to hold off flying these planes until the cause can be identified and the problem fixed. I am a longtime frequent flyer on SW, a fan of the company for years, and this situation is making me seriously reconsider my beliefs about SW. Also, I know exactly what my late father (a career Air Force and commercial pilot) would say about this: ground the planes!  My daughter is taking multiple flights on SW over the next month and I know I won't sleep easy knowing the airline has chosen to prioritize avoiding the cost of temporarily grounding the planes over the life and safety of their passengers and crews. When the potential outcome of making the wrong decision is so grave, a higher standard should be applied. Ground the Max8!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mariond wrote:

There are no assurances that the Max8 is safe. Two horrendous tragedies in the span of a few months, both similar, plus a number of complaints of serious malfunction from pilots, documented in a federal database, should be more than enough evidence to hold off flying these planes until the cause can be identified and the problem fixed. I am a longtime frequent flyer on SW, a fan of the company for years, and this situation is making me seriously reconsider my beliefs about SW. Also, I know exactly what my late father (a career Air Force and commercial pilot) would say about this: ground the planes!  My daughter is taking multiple flights on SW over the next month and I know I won't sleep easy knowing the airline has chosen to prioritize avoiding the cost of temporarily grounding the planes over the life and safety of their passengers and crews. When the potential outcome of making the wrong decision is so grave, a higher standard should be applied. Ground the Max8!

From the FAA this morning:

""Thus far, our review shows no systemic performance issues and provides no basis to order grounding the aircraft," acting FAA Administrator Daniel K. Elwell said in a statement. "Nor have other civil aviation authorities provided data to us that would warrant action."

LUVSWA2019
Explorer C

I hate to say this, but the TRUMP adminstration has prohibited the FAA from ordering the immediate grounding of all MAX 8 equipment. The BOEING CEO personally called TRUMP asking him to intercede and not allow the FAA to do it's job. Shame on SWA for hiding behind the corruption and obuscation of the TRUMP cabal. This will end very badly for SWA unless you put on your big boy pants and remove these MAX 8 planes from service until a full, open, and truthful investigation is completed by both the FAA and NHTSB.

fly87
Explorer C

Just curious about your feelings on this comment since President Trump has ordered the gounding of the planes today.

LUVSWA2019
Explorer C

Good Afternoon.
I am writing to SWA management in response to SWA current decision to continue to operate the Boeing 737 Max 8 fleet. I have always admired your company, including flight OPS and your entire customer service team. It is with great concern that despite the continuing drip-drip of disclosures made by various airline pilots organizations, 5 U.S. based flight captains, and the international flight safety offices regarding the flight safety of the MAX 8. I can only conclude that SWA management puts PROFIT ahead of SAFETY by continuing to keep the MAX 8 equipment in operations. This leads my to the conclusion that SWA is willing to gamble that a SAW MAX 8 won't crash. Or, perhaps, the thinking is that when a SWA MAX 8 does crash, the financial loss incurred as a result of SWA negligence payouts is less that the loss of revenue. I wonder what Herb Kelleher's decision wold have been if he was still alive??? I wonder if SWA management would change their mind if they knew they re going to be charges a criminally negligent for the murder of their customers who will lose their lives?

I fly SWA quite often, as do my family members. I have made alternate flight arrangements for all upcoming and future flights for myself and my family. Additionally, I have notified my clients, which includes various U.S. Government agencies, including FAA, DHS, TSA, NHTSB, DoD, that my team will no longer accept travel arrangements made which include SWA as a carrier by these agencies on our behalf.

It is my sincere hope that SWA management remove all MAX 8 equipment from service today. Bite the bullet and get out in front of this slow moving disaster for SWA and ground your MAX 8 fleet today. Anything less shows a callous disregard for your CUSTOMERS and will make SWA the posterchild putting CORPORATE GREED ahead of safety.

AndSoItGoes
Explorer A

Trump just grounded the Max.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We understand the concern surrounding our 737 MAX 8 series aircraft. Please visit the FAQs below for an update. 

Boeing 737 MAX 8 FAQs

Nicole
Community Manager