Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Airfare Price Changes - When to buy?

RareFlyer
Explorer C

I don't fly very often but I have a trip planned from So Cal to Niagara Falls next Feb. The outbound price from Ontario CA has been steady at $166.  I discovered this morning it has increased $17.  

My question is, will it likely go down before I need to book, or should I just book now before it goes up more? 

I know that other airlines have a slightly cheaper price but SW is the only one with a single plane change. All other airlines have 2 plane changes.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Airfare Price Changes - When to buy?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

I would book now and lock it in, especially if you think the change in value is on the order of magnitude that your peace of mind is worth it.

There is  the opportunity to change/rebook if the price goes down and you'll be able to get the lower price, with a credit for the balance to be used to fly within a year of the original purchase.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

RareFlyer
Explorer C

Okay thanks very much.  $17 increase isn't too bad, and I'll regret it if it goes higher.  I HAVE to go on the trip during dates in Feb and have already paid for professional conference. 

RareFlyer
Explorer C

So I booked my flight for 2/2018 and now it has dropped by $32 since I booked.  What do I do? Do I call and rebook to get the lower rate or keep waiting to see how much lower it goes? 

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

You should change it every time you see the price lower.  You can call or do the change on line from the Southwest home page, click on Change/Cancel. 

RareFlyer
Explorer C

Yay! I called and received a $41 travel credit.  That may be good enough for a quick flight to Northern CA next year.  

Thanks!