Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Amazon does not want you to fly Southwest Airlines

kpechal
Explorer C

Hey Southwest! I'm trying to book a flight but Amazon is holding me back!

I ordered a Southwest Airlines giftcard with an Amazon giftcard I received recently. I purchased it for next day delivery (Tuesday) and it got pushed to the following day (Wednesday). Bummer but I can deal.

When the package arrived on Wednesday, there was nothing it. An empty envelope. I was so sad because I had already waited an extra day to book my flight. I called Amazon immediately to report this issue. Initally they told me they wouldn't be able to replace it and then changed their tune once they realized it was likely it was their delivery driver's infraction. (i.e. potentially stole my gift card, aka free Southwest bucks for who ever can get their hands on it)

In an effort to redeem themselves, they submited to have one delivered next day (Thursday - today) and I was okay with that. I randomly look at my order and they pushed delivery AGAIN to Friday.

I'm so upset with them because I'm trying to book my vacation and for whatever reason, they aren't being cooperative with my order or resolution. I'm beyond annoyed because I'm going to have to wait 4 days from when Amazon promised they'd have it to me. I know I'm fortunate because I had gift card money but man I want to book my flight! Has anyone else had an issue like this before?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Amazon does not want you to fly Southwest Airlines

dfwskier
Aviator A

Yeah that's unfortunate.

It also illustragtes why I buy gift cards at brick and mortar stores instead.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@kpechal,

sorry to hear about this.  I have not had that situation and I hope the card arrives soon.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@kpechal wrote:

Hey Southwest! I'm trying to book a flight but Amazon is holding me back!

I ordered a Southwest Airlines giftcard with an Amazon giftcard I received recently. I purchased it for next day delivery (Tuesday) and it got pushed to the following day (Wednesday). Bummer but I can deal.

When the package arrived on Wednesday, there was nothing it. An empty envelope. I was so sad because I had already waited an extra day to book my flight. I called Amazon immediately to report this issue. Initally they told me they wouldn't be able to replace it and then changed their tune once they realized it was likely it was their delivery driver's infraction. (i.e. potentially stole my gift card, aka free Southwest bucks for who ever can get their hands on it)

In an effort to redeem themselves, they submited to have one delivered next day (Thursday - today) and I was okay with that. I randomly look at my order and they pushed delivery AGAIN to Friday.

I'm so upset with them because I'm trying to book my vacation and for whatever reason, they aren't being cooperative with my order or resolution. I'm beyond annoyed because I'm going to have to wait 4 days from when Amazon promised they'd have it to me. I know I'm fortunate because I had gift card money but man I want to book my flight! Has anyone else had an issue like this before?

Re-reading this, you were using an Amazon gift card to order your Southwest giftcard?

I guess this should have worked if you really weren't going to use the Amazon gift card for Amazon stuff, otherwise order direct from Southwest or head to your local Walgreen's or Walgreen's-equivalent.

https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/home.html?clk=GFOOTER-PRODUCTS-SOUTHWESTGIFTCARD

https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/home.html?clk=GFOOTER-PRODUCTS-SOUTHWESTGIFTCARD

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE, yes, that was @kpechal’s plan - convert Amazon gift card to Southwest gift card (to buy their own ticket), and I thought it was pretty clever.  Gift cards often never get used, and @kpechal figured they could use the gift card to get what they wanted (especially if they did not have the cash to get one elsewhere).  To me, an Amazon gift card should be able to be used for anything sold through their website, so why not a Southwest Gift Card to use on a fun adventure?  Especially if the Amazon computer website allowed the order to be placed?  

Gift cards are like unused travel funds for a cancelled flight.  If the recipient doesn’t keep up with it and use it before expiration, the business issuing the card has that much more cash to use in the business.  (There is some discussion about escheat/unclaimed property laws that I could insert here, but I will spare everyone.)

That is why I try to stick to the giving of rectangular green gift cards (i.e. cash) when I am not sure what to give.  The person can use it for anything they want.  @kpechal, if a Southwest travel adventure is on the list of “wish I had,” then, I am sure that  @DancingDavidE and I both hope you get to go.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Hopefully it came Friday and you'll be able to book your trip.

How far out was your flight? If you are looking out several weeks or months then there shouldn't be much change over the time you were waiting for the gift card.

If the trip would be coming up very soon then you may see the prices go up a bit on some routes.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.