Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Avoid Fare difference

TheNotoriousBLA
Explorer C

Is there anyway to avoid a huge fare difference on a same day flight if you go to the airport? Basically can they just put me on a later flight for the same price/points? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Avoid Fare difference

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheNotoriousBLA wrote:

Is there anyway to avoid a huge fare difference on a same day flight if you go to the airport? Basically can they just put me on a later flight for the same price/points? Thanks

The airline understands that people miss flights for reasons beyond their control, traffic, weather, etc.. When these people show up later at the airport, the airline tries to put them on a later flight. It'd be standby.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@TheNotoriousBLA wrote:

Southwest, like most carriers, unofficially acknowledges the "flat tire rule." If you arrive at the airport within 2 hours following your scheduled departure they will attempt to accommodate you via standby on the next flight to your destination with available room for no additional charge.

Be aware that this unpublished policy exists as a special accommodation for those who missed their flight through no fault of their own. If you call and try to move to a specific later flight, for example, you'd be asked to pay the fare difference.

Technically, you must cancel your flight at least 10 minutes prior to departure to avoid forfeiting your funds, so there is a bit of risk involved here -- although I've never known anyone with a legitimate cause for a missed flight being denied reaccommodation, as long as they arrived at the airport within 2 hours of the original scheduled departure.

The other risk is that load factors are very high these days, so availability on later flights might be limited -- meaning you might spend a great deal of time at the airport trying to get to your destination.

Good luck!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Be aware that this unpublished policy exists as a special accommodation for those who missed their flight through no fault of their own. If you simply arrive and try to move to a specific later flight, for example, you'd be asked to pay the fare difference (unless you're an A-List member, who received free standby as an A-List perk).

I thought it was only to move earlier in time, even with the A-list benefit I don't think you can go later necessarily, or certainly not without being at the airport to make the request, in which case why not leave when you were scheduled?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

Be aware that this unpublished policy exists as a special accommodation for those who missed their flight through no fault of their own. If you simply arrive and try to move to a specific later flight, for example, you'd be asked to pay the fare difference (unless you're an A-List member, who received free standby as an A-List perk).

I thought it was only to move earlier in time, even with the A-list benefit I don't think you can go later necessarily, or certainly not without being at the airport to make the request, in which case why not leave when you were scheduled?

You're absolutely right. I was confused. I've edited by post to make the correction. 😉

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@TheNotoriousBLA wrote:

If the price is lower or about the same, you can just change it yourself officially. Many routes have full planes and the cost for a ticket on the same-day may be much higher, there's not really any way to hedge against this.

All I can offer is that if you do have to change your ticket and prices are high, consider the incremental cost for Business Select to get the 12x points if you are chasing any status.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.