Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage and connecting flight and more

shoes5656
Explorer C

1. I will be departing one airport to ALT and then off to Gulfort. Will my baggage be handled all the way until I reach Gulfport once I check it in first airport?

2. I use a nublizer with small viles of meds. should that be in my checked baggage or carry one?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Baggage and connecting flight and more

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Assuming all flights are on Southwest and you booked the trip on one reservation, not multiple reservations to get to your destination, your bags will be checked through from start to finish. Check-in at your departure airport and pick them up at baggage claim at your destination. If you did something different let us know and we'll discuss. 

In general you should carry on medications just in case your checked baggage is lost or delayed. Here's TSA recommendations for getting medications through security screening:

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/09/24/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-traveling-medication

Have a good trip 

Re: Baggage and connecting flight and more

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest doesn't fly to Gulfport, so your 2nd leg must be on another carrier? If so, no -- your bag(s) will not be checked through, as Southwest has no interline agreements with any other carriers. You'll need to claim your bag(s) and then check in with the carrier flying you to Gulfport and then re-enter the secure area of the airport. You may also need to change concourses, depending on the carrier.

Medications should always be carried on. Be aware that may trigger some additional screening by TSA, so allow extra time if possible.