Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage transfer still southwest

Alktraveler
Explorer C

Traveling from Buffalo to Hawaii

Southwest does not have a direct option. Planning to fly to Oakland  then second flight Oakland to Hawaii. There is not enough time to retrieve baggage and check in again. Will SW transfer directly? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Baggage transfer still southwest

SWDigits
Aviator A

Check this thread:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/General-Travel-Policies/Baggage-for-connecting-flight/m-p/8...

I thought I've seen other similar threads though I'm not able to immediately find them.

Customer | Home airport DCA

jksobonya
Aviator A

I've never heard of bags not going to the final destination if the connecting flights are all under one reservation (i.e., you book a flight with 1-2 stops). Did you book these flights separately? If you did, then you might have an issue, but any flight that I have ever taken that has 1-2 stops and I check a bag, the bag always goes to the final destination.

--Jessica

SWDigits
Aviator A

@jksobonya I've usually seen this topic come up for folks flying with the new service to Hawaii.  You can't book a flight directly to/from Hawaii and many East coast destinations.   So folks make a reservation to go from Buffalo to, let's say, Oakland then make a separate reservation to get from Oakland to Hawaii.

jksobonya
Aviator A

^If that's the case, why not book the itinerary under one reservation with a stop? Wouldn't that solve the issue?

--Jessica

SWDigits
Aviator A

@jksobonya serious question: how do you do that on one reservation for this route, BUF-HNL?  What steps would one take to make it work?  The return leg would be even harder/impossible because it would require overnight travel.

Here's a screen capture of what I get when I start a search on the flight schedules page:

BUF-HNL.jpg

bec102896
Aviator A

@SWDigits 

You could try clicking modify and click add a flight then you could book BUF OAK HNL or BUF SJC HNL all on one reservation. This is called a point to point booking. 

Screenshot_2019-10-01-13-03-20.png

Here is one example it would have a few stops but it's on one reservation and the agent at the ticket counter should be able to help as they are aware that not everyone can book to Hawaii on 1 reservation. 

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

Okay I see how to create a multi-city one-way booking:

1. On the booking page click "Advanced Search"
  2. Select the "Multi-city" radio button
  3. Enter BUF as departure city, OAK as desination 1, and HNL as destination 2
  4. Click "Search"
  5. Select flights
  6. Check out and pay

I'm still not able to figure out how to modify and add a flight but hopefully this gets the original poster, @Alktraveler, an option to book on one reservation.