Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Being Charged to Change My Flight from Max 8

CecileBrennan
Explorer C

My niece had a trip booked on Southwest. She checked early today, March 13th, and discovered it was on the problematic Max 8 plane.  Following media reports that Southwest would change flights free of charge, she called and changed the flight only to be charged for the change.  The agent told her the Washington Post article stating that the changes would be free was incorrect. This eventhough Southwest had not asked for a retraction. The agent also said they, Southwest, had not been informed by the FAA that all the planes would be grounded.

Is this a way to treat loyal customers?  Shouldn't she get her money back?  Why is Southwest behaving in this way--especially now, since all the flights are going to be stopped on that airplane?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Being Charged to Change My Flight from Max 8

bec102896
Aviator A

@CecileBrennan 

I would recommend you reach out to Southwest on Twitter because news reports are stating that Trump and the FAA just banned the MAX from flying here in the US and hopefully they can help. 

-Blake 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Indeed in the last hour, SW issues a statement and announced accomodations for those impacted by the MAX 8 being pulled from service.  See here.

As was stated, reach out on Twitter or via the Contact Us link below.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Mcgr53
Explorer B

Your niece will be OK. Now since Trump has issued a declaration that all Max 8 and 9’s are “officially grounded”. They make up only 5% of SWA planes, so they will park them and bring a different plane for your niece to fly on tomorrow. It won’t really effect service as they only operate 737’s and more then likely they have extras. Tweet at @southwest or wait a few hours till the 737 Max 8 and 9, are pulled and the message trickles down to Customer Service. Then check again what type of plane was assigned. It WILL not be a Max 8. But the reassignment might not be out till later tonight or tomorrow.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@CecileBrennan wrote:

My niece had a trip booked on Southwest. She checked early today, March 13th, and discovered it was on the problematic Max 8 plane.  Following media reports that Southwest would change flights free of charge, she called and changed the flight only to be charged for the change.  The agent told her the Washington Post article stating that the changes would be free was incorrect. This eventhough Southwest had not asked for a retraction. The agent also said they, Southwest, had not been informed by the FAA that all the planes would be grounded.

Is this a way to treat loyal customers?  Shouldn't she get her money back?  Why is Southwest behaving in this way--especially now, since all the flights are going to be stopped on that airplane?

Southwest was only allowing customers to change away from a MAX aircraft without charge through March 18, so if her scheduled flight was after that she would have needed to pay the fare difference.

She should reach out to Customer relations (via Twitter for the quickest response) and see if they're able to refund the additional amount she paid for the change. It's unlikely, but worth a try.