Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Boeing 737 8 MAX

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Scooterb wrote:

As a customer with a flight next Monday- how do I check to see if the equipment scheduled to service my route the 737 8 Max model?   I’m more curious than concerned 

@Darabin wrote:

2 of these planes have crashed recently due to mechanical malfunction.  

Southwest Airlines has 200 in their fleet.  

Southwest is known for their safety record.  What are they going to do about safety concerns regarding this aircraft?  Can they remove them from their fleet?

When trying to book a flight, on   the page where you pick which flight you want to take, click on the flight number and you will learn on time stats for the flight as well as which type of plane is scheduled to be used.

RSH_Houston
Adventurer C

According to FlightAware.com, as of January of this year, there were (31) 737-800 Max in the SWA fleet with an additional (249) on order. It is very unlikely Boeing has delivered another 169 in the last couple months, but I'm sure if the count is important to someone, further research could be done. It is, however, an important number because of the percentage of the entire SWA fleet that would be affected by a grounding.

With a count of approximately (750) total aircraft in the SWA, (31) aircraft represent just slightly over 4% of the fleet. With a daily rotation out of service of roughly (50) aircraft for servicing and inspections, the percentage grows to 4.4%. While small, this percentage would, no doubt, impact flight schedules (less flights), and revenue, perhaps even delay opening Hawaii. Overall a significant price to pay. Recovery of losses from Boeing would probably be nill.

I am a "hardcore" SWA Flyer, my first Rapid Rewards number was in the mid-six digits, many, many years and hundreds of flights ago. I have been a regular flyer since the 1950's. I have watched many airlines come and go, but always watched in amazement this "little" airlines grow from three planes, servicing three cities to what it is today. The fulfilment of a dream, actually beyond the dream, of its' late founder Herb Kellerher.

The immediate decision of CEO Gary Kelly to ground their entire fleet should be a no-brainer. Acceptablility of risk, a risk that would appear great at the moment, cannot be measured in lives lost per miles flown (you know, the way auto manufacturers measure vehicle design and defects v. R&D and recall costs). Gary simply needs to ask himself (perhaps somewhat going against his grain), "What would Herb do?".

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Scooterb wrote:

As a customer with a flight next Monday- how do I check to see if the equipment scheduled to service my route the 737 8 Max model?   I’m more curious than concerned 

You can go to the schedule online as if you were going to purchase a ticket and click on the flight number.

You may also Google search the flight number, and/or use one of the third-party sites such as Flight Aware or Flight View, and I've been seeing another site called flightradar24 or something close to that.

If you use "App in the Air" or TripIt these also show scheduled aircraft details.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Scooterb
Explorer C

thanks to everyone who helped point me in the right direction...

a couple of other observations:

* Southwest flagged my flight as being eligible for being able to rescheduled.  when i called to ask why (e.g. weather?) i was told because of the 737 8 Max concerns.   Not sure if they are doing this for all customers with bookings currently, but when i checked my specific flight, the equipment currently scheduled was *not* a 737 8 Max but instead 737-700

*  the cost of my flights have actually reduced with less than a week to depart..don't remember that happening recently but i'll take it

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Scooterb wrote:

* Southwest flagged my flight as being eligible for being able to rescheduled.  when i called to ask why (e.g. weather?) i was told because of the 737 8 Max concerns.   Not sure if they are doing this for all customers with bookings currently, but when i checked my specific flight, the equipment currently scheduled was *not* a 737 8 Max but instead 737-700

I just noticed the same thing -- although there is no official notification anywhere that I can see.

RSH_Houston
Adventurer C

Off the subject, but so everyone knows who might read your post, fares change frequently, depending on demand as the flight date approaches. Many times "Unavailable" (as opposed to "Sold Out") fares become magically available as flight date and time near. "Sold Outs" can change with cancellations. 

Fares on flights that drop during "Limited Time Sales" promotions may be somewhat lower than the cost of flights booked either prior to, or after, the "sale" dates. You can always cancel your booked flight, obtaining either refund, future use, or points, and then re-purchase the flight with same. It is my experience the amount credits almost instantaneously with your cancellation.   

jilebk
Explorer C

I sure don't want to fly on one!

joesum3148
Explorer C

Southwest should remove the 737 8 Max until the cause of the crash has been determined and any remediation required by Boeing is complete. Also the current situation requires a thorough review by the FAA in conjunction with Boeing and the U.S. based airlines that have these planes in their fleet. Continuing to fly these planes before then is simply irresponsible. If I were the Southwest CEO I would remove these planes from the active fleet until the above steps are taken. If doing so disrupted Southwest's schedules and resulted in lost revenues or extra expenses I would look to Boeing for reimbursement.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@joesum3148 wrote:

Southwest should remove the 737 8 Max until the cause of the crash has been determined and any remediation required by Boeing is complete. Also the current situation requires a thorough review by the FAA in conjunction with Boeing and the U.S. based airlines that have these planes in their fleet. Continuing to fly these planes before then is simply irresponsible. If I were the Southwest CEO I would remove these planes from the active fleet until the above steps are taken. If doing so disrupted Southwest's schedules and resulted in lost revenues or extra expenses I would look to Boeing for reimbursement.

The FAA and it's European and Canadian counterparts disagree with you. I believe that the know a little bit about airplnes.

Southwest is letting nervous flyers switch flights at no cost. So if you don't want to fly a Max, you don't have to.

RSH_Houston
Adventurer C

737 800 MAX8 - Deadliest Airliner Currently Flying737 800 MAX8 - Deadliest Airliner Currently Flying

Your not reading up on the countries around the world, my friend -

FlightAware

The FAA, like the TSA, it's all about the "feel good factor"!

Also wonder if the flight crews, both deck and cabin, have the same choice.

Sorry, I've been flying regularly on commercial airliners since the early 1950's, am a very frequent SWA flyer, actually a fearless flyer, afraid of almost nothing, and I won't be getting on an 800 MAX8 anytime in the near future.

Statistically your odds are still exceptionally good, but why tempt fate?

Perhaps this will change your view point, simple statistics and mathematics, not rocket (or in this case jet engine) science -

Flieger Faust