Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booked flight using LUV Voucher and Credit Card

reneef79
Explorer C

I booked a flight today using a $75 LUV Voucher and $190 using my credit card. Note, the total cost of my flight is $265 so approximately 28% is covered by the LUV Voucher and the remaining 72% was paid using a credit card.

Why does my entire $265 in travel funds expire on the date that the LUV Voucher expires? Southwest knows the breakdown of the payment because it is clearly stated in my email confirmation. Why doesn't $75 expire on the LUV Voucher date and the remainder one year from now?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Booked flight using LUV Voucher and Credit Card

bec102896
Aviator A

I believe it’s because the ticket can only have 1 expiration date so it takes the date that’s coming up first. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest stated rule is that whenever people combine payment methods involving an expiration date to buy a ticket, and that ticket is cancelled, that the EARLIEST expiration date applies to the resulting travel fund.

reneef79
Explorer C

Thank you. Can you provide the link for that policy?

I searched, but nothing came up.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@reneef79 wrote:

Thank you. Can you provide the link for that policy?

I searched, but nothing came up.

Sure. Here ya go:

1. Southwest LUV Vouchers must be redeemed and all travel completed by the expiration date indicated. If applied in conjunction with any other accepted form(s) of payment, the earliest expiration date of all payments applies. Once the voucher is applied to a reservation, it can only be used by the ticketed Passenger. Validity of Southwest LUV Vouchers will not be extended and any unused value will be forfeited upon expiration.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/purchasing-and-refunds/fop-pol.html?CLK=SITESEARCH