Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boxes used as checked luggage for domestic travel

dawnp64
Explorer C

Hi! I will be moving my daughter to her dorm room and we will be taking ALOT of stuff! I would like to use Uhaul type boxes to pack her stuff in, instead of traditional luggage. This will save a ton of space in her dorm room, as we can break it down after we get there. Is there a policy on this?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Boxes used as checked luggage for domestic travel

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Hello.

You can ship most stuff in most types of exotic luggage --  including boxes.

Just make sure the boxes are sturdy enough to handle the man handling most luggage gets.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Hello.

You can ship most stuff in most types of exotic luggage --  in cluding boxes.

Just make sure the boxes are turdy enough to handle the man handling most luggage gets.

In addition to this @dawnp64 the 50 lb limit would still apply - I wasn't sure from the description if the boxes will be in the allowance for two bags each, you'd have to pay for checked luggage over two items per person of course, and also boxes within the size guidelines.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/checked-bags-pol.html

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dawnp64
Explorer C

Thank you! Yes, they are pretty sturdy boxes and they are within the dimension guidelines of normal checked baggage. And even though she has a lot of stuff in there, they are way under the weight limit. Think it is because boxes weigh next to nothing when empty, so that's always a good start! I think the shoes box is the heaviest, LOL!

dawnp64
Explorer C

Thanks! Yes, the Uhaul boxes are pretty sturdy and we'll be using lots of DUCT tape!